cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.40 Patch Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've created a package for SAP GUI 7.4 and have installed it on quite a few PCs.  We've had some issues with it and I found some patches and want to get them applied to my current installs and fix my build for future installs.  When I download the patches and attempt to install the patches, I get an error that I need an updated core version.  My SAPGUI server only allows me to build a package with "Compilation 1".  I've looked for more current builds, but there are none.  I've tried every patch available.  Attached is the error I'm getting when attempting to install the patch.  Any help is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

With this error the installer reports that the version being installed on that workstation  can not be patched with that executable. A patch is the difference from one version to a more recent one. This

does only work if the original version is not too old. We would need to look at the sapsetup log to determine what component is failing. It seems you are using a single file installer. Have you tried with a package ?

regards,

Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to patch my SAP GUI Installation server.  I've downloaded the latest patch for SAPGUI 740 to the server and when I attempt to patch the server, that is when I get the "The patch requires base versions for some products.  These base versions are not present on this installation server."  How do I know what base versions I am missing, and where do I get them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

the log file shows return code 68.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

Return Code 68 means "Invalid Patch".

What patchlevel is showing if you run nwsapsetupadmin? (refer to my previous screenshot).

Jude

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Is it possible that you have another Installation server on the same machine that was created based on a previous SAP GUI comp CD ? (ie 7.30) If so, please unshare that server folder.

Also, have you tried to recreate a new installation server from server from scratch ?

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

There is something fundamentally wrong here.

Do you have an installation server set up?

I think at this stage,it's best to open a message. You can refer to this thread in the message and open the message in BC-FES-INS.

Please attach the sapsetup log files to the message for analysis. This will speed up the processing time.

Regards, .

Jude

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You can paste then in the reply - zip the files first so they can be uploaded, they should only be a few mb in size.

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

All the SAP GUI patches are inclusive of one another.  The latest core patch is Patch Level 3.  Are you trying update an Add-on patch?

What is the version of the NwSapSetup.exe file.  It can be updated to 9.0.62.00

You might try creating a new build.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried all patches including 3.  I keep getting the same error message that is in the original post.  This is not an add-on patch. 

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

Compilation 1 is the "core" DVD download.

It looks to me from your screenshot, that you are missing some SAPgui dependencies on your patch install.

We can get a better idea of what's happening if you upload the sapsetup.log files.

This is usually located in %PROGRAMFILES%\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs\*

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where do you want me to load them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is one sample.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ron, From the command you ran, this is telling me that this is a standalone patch,

not an installation file.

C:\Users\<xxxx>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E7EQ96TX\gui740_1-10013011.exe

You really need to create an installation server and then start from there to either create packages or

installs.

The file gui740_1-10013011.exe cannot be used for a single install, only for patching an existing installation.

Refer to the installation guide https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-59053

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an installation server.  That is where I created the install package.  If I try and create an new package, It creates the same installation package (Compilation 1). I was trying to patch an existing install with the  gui740_1-10013011.exe file, the install on my PC.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

What is the current patch level of your install server?

More than likely, it's already got patch 1 installed, start nwsapsetupadmin.exe

Beside "Latest Patch Level" it should display the current patch level.

In this case,patch level 3 is installed.

If your current patch level is 0, then clicking on "Patch Server" and browsing to the patch location should update your installation server.

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Every patch I try and install returns an error stating that Core is not at the correct level.