cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services Designer cannot connect, SDK failure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I've done quite a bit of investigation so far but still cannot get the Designer client to reach and authenticate against the CMS.

This is a 4.2.5 install with an IPS platform. Single server installation with Oracle repositories.

The error occurs when I try to log on (the list of available repositories are not shown).

The error message is a typical one people receive which is usually firewall related - invalid username/password, SDK failure.

I have done the following so far:-

I can connect to the DS mgmt console and CMC without problems.

I have added a system DSN and tnsnames.ora entry for the CMS and BODS repositories. I can connect to those using SQL Developer

I have added an entry into my local hosts file for the server

I have created firewall rules to open up all inbound and outbound ports on the server and client

I can ping the server and telnet to port 6400 OK

I set enable=yes in the DSUserConfig file but it doesn't generate a log file so I haven't got any detail from the error.

No entries in the server logs relating to a failed logon.

The client and server are on different subnets, but surely that's not mandatory?

I've read the forums and cannot think of anything else to try. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

open a command window, and cd to %LINK_DIR%\bin

set the following

SET BOE_LOGGER_ENVIRONMENT=-trace

start Designer from this command prompt using AL_Designer.exe, reproduce the error

check the %LINK_DIR%\..\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\logging folder for logs file created by Designer, the file name will have AL_Designer in the beginning, you can check this log file for error

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Designer doesn't appear to be on the server machine, therefore, I presume, this won't work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry for the delay, I've been offline whilst travelling.

It's a windows server and Designer works OK on the server itself.

I've tried using FQDN and IP addresses but still no luck.

I followed Manoj's suggestion and do now have a log file for Designer on the client, found this error:-

CORBA System exception: .\APSObjects.cpp(111)

Type:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 Status: Failed on the client. Reason: error number WSAECONNREFUSED

Followed by:-

Could not initialize connection to CMS.  Removing it from map

CInfoSessionManager:: the aps factory reference is invalid

CInfoSessionManager::InvalidateAPS.  Invalidating APS usslcwind8001:6400

Unable to get cluster members.

So it looks like the server is refusing the connection but I can telnet to it on port 6400 so ports are not being blocked by firewall. Really stuck with this one.

Thanks,

Mike

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Would you be able to provide the Designer log generated?

Do you see "transport error" somewhere in the log? Try KBA 1832170.

When you say "can telnet", can you telnet with both FQDN and server name?

Can you ping Designer machine from the IPS server?

Thank you,

Viacheslav.

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Have you tried 'ipconfig /flushdns' on Designer machine?

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Have you tried adding the CMS Server name and IP Address in hosts file(\etc\hosts)

What is the result of telnet command when you use FQDN

telnet server_name_fqdn 6400

Is it a bank screen?

From the log files it is clear that designer sis not able to resolve the port.

For the CMS, can you please change the host identifier to IP Address instead of the FQDN.

Also can you please check if incoming/outgoing ports are opened between the Client and Server.

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

try setting up a fixed value for request port for CMS

- log on to CMC

- open properties if CMS

- set a value for request port

Save and close

restart SIA

now try connecting from Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can telnet to the server  on port 6400 and get a blank screen indicating success.

I tried setting the host identifier to the IP address and specifying a request port number but no luck.

However, I cannot ping the client from the IPS server. I seem to remember something about the client and server having to be on the same subnet for Designer to connect but I can't recall if that's mandatory.

Its frustrating as communication via other means (web based CMC app, SQL developer) is OK.

Thanks,

Mike

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

It seems to be a pure communication issue between client and server. could you please check with the Network Admin team to sort out the issues.

As far as I know the client and server must have the same subnet address. in this case you can check the dhcp configuration.

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to Viacheslav, Manoj and Arun.

I think the subnet mismatch must be the issue. It looks like the virtual desktop solution is the only way these clients will connect.

Thanks,

Mike

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike,

You can also set up SAP Data Services to run under Citrix. This would be more secure

Using Citrix you can publish SAP Data Services interface components to one user or multiple users at the same time.

I am not sure about the virtual desktop option which you mentioned.

Regards

Arun Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

The virtual desktop solution they have here is SUN but same principle as Citrix.It's up and running with Data Services so I'll stop investigating the local client installations.

Thanks,

Mike

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perfect Way to go Mike!!

Regards

Arun Sasi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Sometimes the problem may arise if FQDN is used in AL_MACHINE_INFO but FQDN cannot be resolved by Designer host. Could you please check / share AL_MACHINE_INFO table of your local repository and etc/hosts file on the Designer machine.

Also see KBA1897030.

Another thought may be around not using sqlnet.ora but only tnsnames.ora.

Thank you,

Viacheslav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Viacheslav,

Thanks for your reply.

In AL_MACHINE_INFO, the administrator entry was fully qualified but the Jobserver wasn't so have updated this.

This didn't let me in so I moved on to the next step

For the CMS, the host identifier was set to autoassign so I changed it to a fully qualified host name.

I also did a DNS flush on my client but still not letting me in.

There is a firewall between my client and the server, will this prevent me from connecting even though I've opened up all ports?

Also, the server is 10.15.x.x whereas my laptop is 10.140.x.x, is that enough to prevent a connection?

Also, do you know how to get the designer client to produce a log file?

Thanks again,

Mike

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Do you have CMS host defined in etc/hosts on Designer machine? KBA1862954.

Viacheslav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, the CMS host has an entry in etc/hosts and I can ping the server just using the shortname

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

In CMC: Servers > Server List > EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer > Properties. Under "Command Line Parameters" check the value after the flag -ns. Compare with the one you are using to connect in Designer, check etc/hosts entries again.

Viacheslav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, couldn't see an "-ns" flag but the server listed is USSLCWIND8001.

I have this in my hosts file:-

10.15.160.81  usslcwind8001.pharmaaw.com USSLCWIND8001

This is the EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer command line:-

-server -Dcom.sap.vm.tag=USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer -Djava.awt.headless=true "-Dbobj.enterprise.home=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/" "-Dbobj.javaserver.home=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/pjs/container/" "-Dboe.common.dir=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/lib/" "-Dboe.external.dir=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/lib//external" "-Dboe.bundles.dir=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/lib//bundles" "-Djava.io.tmpdir=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/pjs/container/temp" "-Dbusinessobjects.logs.home=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/" "-XtraceFile=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/aps_USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer_jvm.log" "-XX:GCHistoryFilename=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/aps_USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer_gc.prf" "-Xloggc:E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/aps_USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer_gc.log" -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:LogGcMaxFileCount=3 -XX:LogGcMaxFileSize=5m "-XX:ErrorFile=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/aps_USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer_dump_@PID.log" -Xms512m -Xmx2g -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError "-XX:HeapDumpPath=E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/logging/" -XX:+ExitVMOnOutOfMemoryError -Xrs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false -jar "E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/pjs/container/bin/boeserver.jar" -workdir "E:/Program Files (x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/java/pjs/container/work"

Thanks for sticking with this! I really appreciate it,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

apologies, it does have, i was looking at the wrong section:-

-name USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer -pidfile "E:/Program Files

(x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

4.0/serverpids/USSLCWIND8001_USSLCWIND8001.EIMAdaptiveProcessingServer.pid" -ns

USSLCWIND8001.pharmaaw.com:6400

and it does match what I'm using in the designer client.

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Check properties of AdaptiveProcessingServer, not EIMAPS.

Thank you,

Viacheslav.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also the same:-

-name USSLCWIND8001.AdaptiveProcessingServer -pidfile "E:/Program Files

(x86)/SAP BusinessObjects/SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

4.0/serverpids/USSLCWIND8001_USSLCWIND8001.AdaptiveProcessingServer.pid" -ns

USSLCWIND8001.pharmaaw.com:6400

vnovozhilov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

The only noticeable difference is the uppercase of the server name. Is your CMS server on Windows or UNIX?

When you attempt to log in, are you using FQDN?

Have you tried IP address to avoid name resolution issues?

Do you have Designer installed on the server? Can you login there?

Thank you,

Viacheslav.