cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP IdM 8.0 Eclipse/VDS: Windows, Linux, etc?

jon_pryor
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are starting to plan for a IdM 7.2 to 8.0 upgrade.  We would like to move everything to Linux (Java NW, IdM database, VDS, Runtime, and Eclipse/Developer Studio) for each instance of IdM and do away with the windows box.

I was excited to hear about the option of Eclipse/VDS running on different platforms (other than Windows).  However, I found the following (Click Here) which dampened my excitement.

SAP testing Eclipse on Windows 7 increases the risk in our eyes of moving forward with our original hardware design/plans.  We don't want to be the first to install Eclipse on Linux.  Here are my main questions:

1. Does anyone have insight on how much testing has been done by SAP with having Eclipse/VDS on Linux? Extensive/Nothing?
  2. Are there any other SAP customers that have done this with IdM 8.0? If so, what has been there experience (negative/neutral/postive)? Key things to pay attention to?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

JP,

VDS will work under Linux now.  The application and it's UI is Java based. You can see some information about installing under Linux here IdM Thoughtplace: Doing a LINUX Based Victory Lap.

Hope it helps!

Matt

jon_pryor
Explorer
0 Kudos

Chris/Matt -

Thank you for putting the time and effort into answering my questions.  This was exactly what I was looking for and very helpful.

I'm confident enough to continue with our original plan of moving everything to Linux based on your responses.

Thanks.

Jon "JP" Pryor

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ChrisPS
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,
          from 8.0 SP1 there will be support for Linux and Mac for eclipse and other components so you will be able to run IdM on non windows platforms.

Hope this was helpful.

Best regards,

Chris

SAP Active Global Support

jon_pryor
Explorer
0 Kudos

The URL didn't work in my original post. Let's try this again.  https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#idm