cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Downtime Deployment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Cummunity

We have SAP NetWeaver AS Java installed with two server instances where each server instance has four server nodes.

When we deploy applications, we sometimes face the problem that afterwards on some server nodes other applications do not function correctly anymore. Therefore we introduced the policy that after each deployment the server has to be restarted. This results in some downtime of the server we is a problem for our customer.

As we have two server instances we would like to to do Zero Downtime Deployment. Thus, by our external firewall we take one instance out of the load balancer till no user is anymore on this instance, then we deploy and restart this instance. After this instance is back in the load balancer we could do the same with the other server instance.

For doing so, we have to be able to deploy applications only on one server instance. Is there a possibility to do this with SAP NetWeaver AS Java?

Best wishes,

Rolf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf ,

What is the version of your netweaver stack ?

Is your System in an HA environment  [ Where ascs/ SCS is in a seperate server and you have two dialog instances ? ]

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu

Thank you for your answer.

We use SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SP 6.

We have one hardware server with SCS and one AS instance, and another hardware server with the second AS instance. The DB (MaxDB) is on two separate hardware servers (one is active, the other one is in standby with replication of the data).

In SAP Management Console I can start/stop each AS instance and also server node individually. But I could not figure out yet how to deploy individually on a AS instance.

You mentioned High Availability (HA), I'll try to find more information about these topic.

Best wishes,

Rolf

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rolf  ,

Dont think your system is in HA  .

Not sure why the deployment is not reflecting in both the  servers at the same time as  you are in 7.4 and the deployments are done onto the database .

Please provide more info on what you are trying to deploy  ? Are you using NWDI ?

Is it that you face this issue for only certain component only ?

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manu,

My problem is that the deployment is reflecting in both the servers at the same time.

I am looking for a way to only deploy on one server at a time, therewith the other can still take care of the users.

A solution for me would also be, if I could deploy the new components only to the database and the application servers will stay the same until they are restarted and fetch the new components from the DB.

Is there such a way in NetWeaver?

Best wishes,

Rolf

Answers (0)