cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Cache Backup & Recovery Vs. Planning Area Backup to InfoCube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SCM SMEs,

On current project we are backing up DP live cache data to an InfoCube weekly.  Dropping contents of InfoCube and reloading history and forecasted time series data for numerous key figures on a weekly cycle.  Our Basis team is also doing live cache backup in Database Manager. 

Is it necessary to backup DP data to InfoCube if Basis is already capturing live cache backup for recovery?  Is there any benefit to loading all data into "backup cube"?  Seems like redundant overhead.  Then I suppose my final question is what is the best practice for backup of live cache?

Thanks,

SCM Beginner

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

There should be some Business Requirement on Backing up the whole Live cache which we are not aware of, How often Live cache is being backed up ? Its high resource consuming task and we are not aware how it benefits to your Business.

PA Backup --> There may be multiple PA within a Livecache. PA is subset and all your planning depends upon the KF, CHAR, Version, Time Horizons, UOM, Currency Etc which you define within your PA. When you do the planning, forecast are derived based on your histories with respect to the Valid CVCs and the parameters what you'd defined within your PA. So taking Backup of PA is essential to save your planned data's and source data's for your planning by which you can reuse them in many way and make use of them on emergencies/recoveries.

There may be 10 PA but you may backup only some important PA's which holds critical information of Business and its how you keep your resource load in a comfort zone. PAs may be a DP (Time Series) one or SNP (order series)one.

LiveCache Backup --> Livecache is where all the calculations happens in runtime and planned results are saved, it includes the data of all PAs available in your system. Complete backup of all PAs.

This may comes handy when system gets corrupted/crashed, your whole data can be replaced.

Though i have shared my limited knowledge, you can expect much more informative replies from the experts

Hope its helpful n Good Luck

Regards

Vinoth

Answers (0)