Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document viewer close document when clicking on link

glenn_karlsson2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a PDF document attached to a service order that we are viewing using the document Viewer.

In the PDF (based on a smartform) there are an email address. When clicking on the email address an MS Outlook mail to that address is opened.

In the same moment, the document in the Viewer disappears (is probably closed). Are there a way to keep that document open even if we are handing over the "active" window to MS Outlook?

Edit: The document is opened in Adobe Reader inside SAP GUI.

best regards,

Glenn

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

janosdezsi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

(Hi, I tested the behavior with a PDF created with Word 2013 in which I put a "mailto" link and uploaded it via ArchiveLink and displayed it using SAP Basis 731 PL 16, SAP kernel 721 PL 114, SAP GUI 7.40 PL 3, Adobe Reader XI 11.0.11, Outlook 2013, but I couldn't experience the behavior you mentioned. So by default it should work wothout any issue.)

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could not get why separate viewer was required to view PDF file? PDF application should handle this.

glenn_karlsson2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are no separate viewer. The attached PDF is opened in SAP Document Viewer. And the viewer used by SAP for PDF is Adobe Reader.

So I get an embedded Adobe Reader inside the SAP Document Viewer. And in the PDF there are an emailaddress. When I click the address an Outlook e-mail message to that address are created.

And when the mail message are created, the PDF disappears from the Document Viewer.

Could it be that SAP is unable to keep both external applications (Adobe reader and Outlook) connected at the same time?

regards,

Glenn

janosdezsi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Is the Outlook opened inside the Document Viewer, or it is opened in a new Windows window?

What is the behavior for the PDF if you drag&drop the same PDF file to an already opened Internet Explorer window and open the e-mail link from that? (So without any SAP GUI involvment)

glenn_karlsson2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Outlook object opens in a new "windows" window, ie as a normal mail does when you click "New mail" in Outlook or when you click on a mailto-link in any other program.

I cannot drag&drop my PDF. It is attached to a service message in SAP and accessible in an ALV-popup when I ask to show attached documents. From there I double click in the document and it opens in the document Viewer, with its embedded Adobe Acrobat.

regards,

Glenn

janosdezsi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Glenn,

based on your SAP basis version you can use the Export function from note #1626008. After this you get the PDF file on your front end and test the behavior that I explained before.

(Or if you have the direct URL for that document you can call and test the HTML Control behavior in transaction DWDM using Workbench Demos -> Controls -> HTML Control -> Use as general WWW browser)

Without knowing the exact behavior with the standard IE scenario I can suggest you the following:

1) in OAG1 try the Doc Display as Dialog Box option

OR

2) also in OAG1 test the behavior with Call Internet Browser option instead of the HTML Control

3) setup a protocol for the content repository and document class PDF in this case

You can add a protocol to the content repositroy in OAC0 and define a protocol in OAA3 like this:

Display Stored Document -> PDF -> ARCHIVELNK

Retrieval Frontend-> PDF -> TABLE

Display Local File-> PDF ->ARCHIVELNK

Best regards,

Janos