Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF printing unknown characters

0 Kudos

I have a requirement to generate PDF for customer invoice from SAP, my customer would like to use their own specific font(not SAP standard helvetica/Arial). We created a smart form and generate OTF and convert the OTF to PDF, show the PDF content in PDF viewer. When we do this, all the characters and symbols are showing just fine on PDF, but when we print the PDF, it is showing the square box with the X for Currency symbols (Pound(£), Yen(¥)) and Registered mark symbol (®)).

The Device type I am using is "SWINCF".

Thanks

Ram

11 REPLIES 11

david_liu1
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have you checked if your printer support the Currency symbols?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

Yes, printer supports the character I need to print.

Thanks

Ram

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

what font do you use in the SmartForm for the texts where the misprint happens for the currency symbols? Is it a SAP standard font like HELVE; TIMES, or is it a custom font (e.g. a truetype font uploaded with SE73 into SAP)?

Have you also tried to use an alternative PDF viewer (there are many freeware viewers available, e.g. Sumatra PDF) and print from there?

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for reply. It is custom font( uploaded with SE73 into SAP). Customer would like to view and print from PDF, I am not sure end user also can try with Sumatra PDF.

Thanks

Ram

0 Kudos

Have you checked in Adobe Reader which font it is actually using when you display the PDF?

Use CONTROL-D (document properties), go to tab "Fonts". What is shown there?

The problem could be in the uploaded truetype font, or it could be a printing problem in Adobe Reader, that's why I asked whether you have tried using another PDF viewer...

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. When I print using Sumatra PDF, it is printing characters. we are using KootenayPro font. any idea to resolve the printing problem through Adobe reader?

0 Kudos

Do I understand correctly that the mentioned characters print ok when printing the PDF from Sumatra Reader (but not from Adobe Reader) ?

In Adobe Reader, in the Print Dialog under "Advanced", there is an option "Print as Image". Have you tried that? My guess is that printing of those symbols from AR works with this option checked...

0 Kudos

Yes, it prints correctly from Sumatra Reader not from Adobe Reader,  I tried printing as a Image, print output looks different than the original print. print as Image prints with less pixel issue which may not resolve the issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramireddy,

Is there any specific reason you are using SWINCF device type?

Try using PDF1 device type. It does not have any Print Control characters. So ideally it should print what you see in the screen.  I used this and it has yet to let me down.

R

0 Kudos

Rudra,

to print Latin characters (for ex: Ž ), I used device type SWINCF. If I use other Device types, it is showing not correct letter on PDF output, I tried using 'PDF1', it didn't work.

Thanks

Ram

peng_wen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is my understanding correct that you are printing the PDF by the Print button on Adobe reader?
In this case there should be nothing relevant to SAP.
You can activate the option SAVE_OTF_SPOOL via report RSTXPDF3, and then repeat the
conversion again, this will create an OTF spool in SP01, print this spool with device type SWINCF
and see if it works.

Regards,
Wen Peng