cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Migration from Win/Oracle to Linux/Oracle (oracle vm)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The customer plans to migrate his SAP systems from (no more supported) Windows 2003 Server/Oracle to Oracle-Linux (on Linux VM):

OS                                           Database

Source:      Windows 2003 Server                         Oracle 10.2.0.4

Target:       Oracle Linux (with Linux VM)               Oracle 12

Could you please tell me your experiences with Oracle VM and Linux-Oracle? I don´t mean OS (Linux) and DB (Oracle) - I mean Linux which is delivered from Oracle.

Please also tell me what steps should be pre-checked before I create a Cut-over plan and what things should be especially checked regarding Oracle VM and so on?!

Thanks & Regards,
Manuel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

> Could you please tell me your experiences with Oracle VM and Linux-Oracle?

It works or what do you want to know? Oracle VM is not as intuitive as VMware (in my opinion) and the underlying technology is different (especially relevant for setting up HA features or virtualization mode).

> Please also tell me what steps should be pre-checked before I create a Cut-over plan and what things should be especially checked regarding Oracle VM and so on?!

SAPnote #1808268 and SAPnote #2069760 is a good start for SAP on Oracle VM + OEL, but nobody can be responsible for all the mentioned components (Application = SAP, Database = Oracle, OS = Oracle Enterprise Linux, Virtualization = Oracle VM). You should get somebody on board for every component or at least for the virtualization component as you normally would also have an VMware / OS administrator.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your infos.

Could you tell me also the steps which to do when we want to go from NW7.0 & Win2003 to NW 7.4 & OracleLinux?

Is it possible to do this in one step or which steps should be done therefore?

Regards,

Manuel

0 Kudos

Hi,

In my opinion, you must do a heterogeneous system copy and do an upgrade.

Because your NW 7.4 is not support on Windows 2003 with Oracle 10.2 and the NW 7.0 is support on Linux with Oracle 11.2.

After your heterogeneous system copy, you must do a upgrade.

If you read all notes about virtualization on vmware, you do not have any problems.

Remember that the storage is so important. You must have a fast storage system and your hypervisor must be a good configuration.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can add to the above additives:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8324(System Copy and Migration)

and

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-34592(FAQ - System Copy and Migration)

Answers (0)