Did you mean: 

SAP HANA not starting - statisticsserver Out of memory occured

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I cannot start my SAP HANA database:

HDB version info:

version:            1.00.090.00.1416514886

___________________________________________________________________________________________

:~> HDB start

StartService

Impromptu CCC initialization by 'rscpCInit'.

See SAP note 1266393.

OK

OK

Starting instance using: /usr/sap/HDB/SYS/exe/hdb/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 00 -function StartWait 2700 2

06.06.2015 12:31:54

Start

OK

06.06.2015 12:32:24

StartWait

FAIL: process hdbstatisticsserver HDB Statisticsserver not running

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

When I start the statisticsserver, I get this error:

:~> hdbstatisticsserver

service startup...

accepting requests at 127.0.0.1:30005; 127.0.0.2:30005

assigning to volume 2 ...

run as transaction slave

Out of memory occured. Writing runtime dump!

Finished writing oom runtime dump!

assign failed with persistence startup error. exception  1: no.1000002  (ltt/impl/memory.cpp:134)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only thing I think that changed on this box is that Netbackup was installed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Probably you temporarily have to set

statisticsserver.ini -> [memorymanager] -> allocationlimit

to a higher value (e.g. "20%"). In general please have a look at SAP Note 2147247 ("How can the memory requirements of the statistics server be minimized?") in order to minimize the memory requirements of the SAP HANA statistics server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The allocationlimit of statisticsserver.ini was still at 5% default.  I increased it to 20%, then to 50%, but still exacly the same issue on startup.

I cannot execute the "Memory requirements Minimized" steps while the service is down.

May I try to change to Embedded statistics server while the statisticsserver service is unable to start?

• nameserver.ini -> [statisticsserver]->active=true (steps in notes 1917938,2092033)
Former Member
0 Kudos

If the statistics server doesn't start, you won't be able to migrate to ESS. The original OOM dump (with 5% allocation limit, so 6 GB) showed that

Pool/PersistenceManager/LogRecovery

is mainly responsible for the OOM. So it looks like you had a crash before?

Can you provide the new OOM dump with 50% allocation limit? You might have to set oom_dump_time_delta as described in SAP Note 1999997 in order to make sure that a new OOM dump is triggered after less than 24 hours.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to bring the system up from a crash, so there was a crash before.

hdbstatisticsserver started again, please see trace location and dump attached

😆 hdbstatisticsserver

service startup...

accepting requests at 127.0.0.1:30005; 127.0.0.2:30005

assigning to volume 2 ...

run as transaction slave

Out of memory occured. Writing runtime dump!

Finished writing oom runtime dump!

assign failed with persistence startup error. exception  1: no.1000002  (ltt/impl/memory.cpp:134)

Allocation failed ; $size$=4294967296; $name$=LogRecovery; $type$=pool; $inuse_count$=2; $allocated_size$=544; $alignment$=4096

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's not a typical OOM - it points to the problem described in SAP Note 2133638. Can you check if the solution described there works?

In any case I would strongly recommend to avoid using SAP HANA Revision 90 to 94 due to several potentially critical issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing: What is the exact result of the following query?

SELECT * FROM M_INIFILE_CONTENTS WHERE KEY = 'allocationlimit'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Output is the following:

SELECT * FROM M_INIFILE_CONTENTS WHERE KEY = 'allocationlimit'

FILE_NAME,LAYER_NAME,TENANT_NAME,HOST,SECTION,KEY,VALUE

"statisticsserver.ini","DEFAULT","","","memorymanager","allocationlimit","5%"

"statisticsserver.ini","SYSTEM","","","memorymanager","allocationlimit","50"

"global.ini","DEFAULT","","","memorymanager","allocationlimit",""

I tried to change the:

global.ini [memorymanager] allocationlimit to 117760 (value from oom dump)

but get a error:

[129]: transaction rolled back by an internal error: exception 1000002: Allocation failed; $size$=1048567; $name$=QueryCompilation; $type$=pool; $inuse_count$=2; $allocated_size$=352, $allignment$=16

Should I also include a <global_allocation_limit> in the indexserver.ini file?  What value, from oom dump is 32650 the correct value?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have set the allocationlimit to "50" which corresponds to 50 MB. As instructed please set it to a percentage - e.g. "20%". Three characters, '2', '0' and '%', without any blank in between.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The originally critical allocator Pool/PersistenceManager/LogRecovery is used to store 4 log segments in memory during recovery. A size of 4 GB indicates that you have increased the default statistics server log segment size of 64 MB to 1 GB. Is this correct? What is the output of the following command?

SELECT * FROM M_INIFILE_CONTENTS WHERE KEY = 'log_segment_size_mb'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apologies, I tried to fix the allocationlimit to "20%", and noticed hdbstudio had disconnected from the database [same 129 as above].  When I tried reconnecting it asked for the <sid>adm username and password, so I bounced HANA.

Now I cannot start HANA and is getting this error:

😆 HDB start

StartService

Impromptu CCC initialization by 'rscpCInit'.

See SAP note 1266393.

OK

OK

Starting instance using: /usr/sap/HDB/SYS/exe/hdb/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 00 -function StartWait 2700 2

08.06.2015 16:48:24

Start

OK

08.06.2015 16:48:34

StartWait

FAIL: process hdbdaemon HDB Daemon not running

😆 hdbdaemon

Environment variable IQDIR16 must be set before using HDB configured with DT

Environment variable STREAMING_HOME  must be set before using HDB configured with Streaming Server

Yes, I did change the log_segment_size_mb to 64 mb previously - tried to get the log backups to run only every 30 min.

I notice error in oom:

[MEMORY_OOM]  Information about current out of memory situation: (2015-06-08 16:41:29 169 Local)

OUT OF MEMORY occurred.

Host: S4ZAJ1SYLX16

Executable: hdbnameserver

PID: 14119

Failed to allocate 33024 byte.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please make sure that you revert the changes that you implemented for SAP Note 2133638. If the problem still exists, you can check if rebooting the complete host helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I reverted the changes from SAP Note 2133638, and also the allocationlimit to "50%" in the INI files, and the system started  :):):)

I will be looking to upgrade to revision 96 as soos as possible.

Thanks a mill!!!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe applying to latest revision(96) can help you.

Thanks,

Mofizur