cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair or Restore an **Incomplete** SQL 2005 .BAK file

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a SQL 2005 .bak file that looks to be corrupt. It won't restore using standard gui restore method. The file size looks correct (9.8 GB) but it wont restore. The prior day works but unfortunately this is the one day my server harddrive has completely died. Any way to repair or restore this .BAK and see the data? Inside this database is a single table that may allow me to get my missing day added to my yesterday working database.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all make use step by step instruction for restoring sql database by SQL Server Management Studio, in case even this one guide can't be effective, check out https://www.repairtoolbox.com/sqlserverrepair.html SQL Server Repair Toolbox

1. 1. Open SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.
  2. 2. Connect to the appropriate server.
  3. 3. Expand Databases.
  4. 4. Right-click the desired database, mouseover Tasks, mouseover Restore and select Database.
  5. 5. The Restore Database window will appear.
  6. 6. Ensure that the correct database name appears in the To database field. If not, select it from the dropdown.
  7. 7. Under Source for restore, select the From device radio button.
  8. 8. Click the button next to the textbox to select the device to restore from.
  9. 9. The Specify Backup window will appear.
  10. 10. Click Add and locate and select the backup file from the Locate Backup File Window. Click OK.
  11. 11. Under Select the backup sets to restore, select all three backups (full, transaction log, and differential).
  12. 12. In the left pane, select Options.
  13. 13. Under Recovery state, ensure that the Restore with Recovery radio button is selected.
  14. 14. Click OK to begin restoring the database.
  15. 15. Once the restore is complete, a notification box will appear. Click OK to close the box. You have now restored your database to the most recent state.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What's the matter? Do you want to restore your SQL database from the backup file or you want to repair SQL database? If you want to repair corrupt SQL database file, you should try Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. This can help you remove your SQL database tagged as suspect. Read the blog post linked below for more information:

Repair SQL Database using SQL Server Management Studio | N.Sem's Blog

But if you want to restore your SQL database from corrupt backup file, you can try a BKF recovery software that supports recovery of SQL database from corrupt BKF files.

Thanks and best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically there are many reasons which are responsible for SQL database corruption like hardware failure, improper power supply, virus attack and more but such issues in SQL Server database can be more easily with the help of SQL Database Recovery Software to Rebuild Corrupt or Inaccessible MDF Database Files designed for this purposes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Easiest way to recover for SQL database, you can use SQL Database Recovery software which can easily repairs corrupt MDF file of SQL Server database. And that software also recover tables, triggers, indexes, keys, constraints, rules, and defaults.It also supported with all SQL Server Versions MS SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 r2 and 2012.Go through: SQL Database Recovery tool to Repair Corrupt SQL Server .MDF Files

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can try advance SQL Backup Recovery Tool to repair all SQL backup items including tables, views, triggers, store procedure, function, keys etc. The software allows you to recover SQL Backup database of any size and export into SQL Server or SQL Server Compatible Script.

For More details: - http://www.sqlrepairtool.org/sql-server-backup-restore-software.html

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Salmaan

I think its very difficult to repair or restore the database from corrupted bak file. You have to find the some of the third party tools, I am not sure those tool will be helpful.

1. You have to search good backup set.

2. Try to recover the DB from the fault server.

3. Could you share the error message or snapshot at the time of restoration?

Regards

Sriram

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

what is the exact errormessage ?

Can you please create a script of the restore command (in the gui there is a scripting button) and send it to us.

Best regards

Clas Hortien