cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PD (and computer) wigs out when printing a diagram to PDF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Really bizarre - the pdf comes out just fine but slows my computer down to a grinding halt, even after the PDF is rendered.  I haven't ran into the problem with rendering PDF's from other programs.   I'm on 16.05 SP05

Help please!!

Pete

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member182952
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Support has documented this issue with KBA 2367817.

The current workarounds are to run PD as administrator. (Right click executable and select Run as admin...), or use another PDF writer. 

Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alright, a workaround.

After you print to a pdf, if you start the task manager and kill the adobe tray, it allows powerdesigner to go back to normal functionality. Not sure why these two have the interaction that forces PD to lock up, but it's good to have a workaround.

On my PC, the adobe tray is called acrotray.exe.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for this, Amy.  My team has been working by ending the PD process, rather than working with Adobe processes. 

As I publish the work around to them, I see that our Acrotray is a 32-bit application.  I wonder if the flickering may have something to do with Acrotray compatibility with the 16.5.5.# 64-bit client?  Can anyone else validate this with their experience?  Is there a 64-bit acrotray?

We did submit a case, the support techs reproduced it, and it has been sent to SAP engineering.  I do not yet have a CR.

former_member192453
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When printing to PDF, I am not encountering an issue. I am using PD 16.5.5 PL1.

Since the issue appears to be intermittent, a support incident may be the best course of action.

When you create the incident, please upload a copy of the model you were using when you encountered the problem.

When you encounter this problem, is it with a specific model? or any model?

If you launch PD, open a model and then Print to PDF, does the problem occur? Or does it occur only after you make many changes to the model?

Anthony

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've run into a similar issue, Pete. I was planning logging a support ticket as soon as I have the time. Hopefully someone will look at it before then!

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As mentioned previously, PD does not export or print natively to PDF.

You must be printing to a 'PDF' printer driver (e.g. GhostScript).   Check your driver settings.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm printing to Adobe Standard. It worked just fine with 15.3, but now that we are on 16.5, it crashes. Not all the time, only sometimes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also experience the issue intermittently.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PD does not offer a PDF print function.

Verifiy the application used to print PDF document or install a new one.

Thank you,