cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowed file formats in DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a basis consultant and I'm having some trouble with DMS consultant

It seems that our ERP 607 is not compatible with DOCD, XLSX, PPTX, VSDX files, because when we upload that kind of files we are not able to view them in integrated viewer

Has somebody useful information about this? any kind of comments?

thanks everybody

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juan Carlos,

if you mean DMS, you mean the transactions CV01N, CV02N, CV03N, right ?

Sometimes members think about GOS services and file attachments. This is completely different to solve.

Ok, within SAP DMS it is possible to manage all kind of files, independend of their formats.

But there is no SAP standard given ... even not for standard formats like the old or new kind of Microsoft Office formats.

You have to manage this by yourselves in the customizing !  

In transaction DC30 you can customize so called workstation applications (WsApp), that means, that you have do define application and their formats according to the action (view, change, print, ...)

I suggest, that you have perhaps still a mixture of old office formats and new office formats, right.

So you can define e.g.

DOC    Microsoft Word < V2003, *.doc

XLS     Microsoft Excel < V2003, *.xls

PPT     Microsoft PowerPoint < V2003, *.ppt

VSD     Microsoft Visio < V2003, *.vsd

DOX     Microsoft Word > V2007, *.docx

XLX     Microsoft Excel > V2007, *.xlsx

PPX     Microsoft PowerPoint > V2007, *, pptx

VSX     Microsoft Visio > V2007, *.vsdx

Here is an example how to configure DOC

Here is an example how to configure DOX

Note: take care on F1 help of option "You cannot rename temporary files". This is important of file types with extensions more than 3 characters.

These were the basics to mange the files with SAP DMS.

Now about the viewer topic. You talked about an "integrated" viewer ... but on which client ... ?

On a Windows PC, a Unix machine, by SAP Netwaver portal ... different scenarios ... different clients ... different viewers   but I suggest, you talk about the first one ....

This must be configured by the workstation application and by a frontend type, too.

The frontend defines a client (Windows, Macintosh, Unix workstation).

The combination of Workstation Application and frontend can have different actions on view, change, print the original. So you have to define and to configure this.

In the example there are different frontends defined (PC, PD, PV, PW) for WsApp DOX on action 1 (=viewing). The command %AUTO% leads, that the clients operating system has to decide which viewer is necessary to start. Like in Windows explorer by a mouse double click.

If you need some special reqirements for viewing in a integrated viewer, read carefully the F1 help to the "Application (path and program name)" field. I recommend you, not to use Office applications inplace.

If you are skilful, now you can support different file types on different client OS.

You can do a lot of actions more if you work with BAdI DOCUMENT_FILES01.

In general:

Think on usage in the future by doing the customizing by connecting DMS by mobile devices, SAP Netweaver portal and more, if you not have a Microsoft Office installation.

Regards,

Markus

P.S. pls rate if this was helpful

Answers (0)