cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is SFTP adapter default encryption ?

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I understand that SFTP supports pgp encryption , but

1) Does it have any of its own default encryption?

2)When we dont encrypt it , does it behave same as file channel with FTP protocol?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>

1) Does it have any of its own default encryption?

When you send any message using SFTP( SFTP over SSH), yes all your commands(list,change dir,create file etc) and the data which is being passed is encrypted during the transmission. Once the file has been placed, the adapter itself decrypts it. The same can be found in SAP Documentation.

Configuring the Communication Channels with the SFTP Adapter - SAP NetWeaver Process Integration, se...

2)When we dont encrypt it , does it behave same as file channel with FTP protocol?

No. It's not.  If you use FTP, your communication layer is not secured. i.e. your commands and data are not encrypted during the transmission.

in Addition - It is also different from FTPS(FTP over TLS/SSL) where the encryption is initiated based on the client's request.

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Hareesh,

Could you please tell me how does it encrypt during transmission and using which algo or method?

former_member193376
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good question.

I don't think above blogs would answer your question. I believe it depends on how your adapter is developed. Unfortunately i don't see any detailed documentation on that.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member193376
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SFTP is a network protocol that provides file access, file transfer, and file management functionalities over any  reliable data stream. It was designed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an extension of the Secure Shell protocol (SSH) version 2.0 to provide secure file transfer capability, Unlike simple FTP, it encrypts both commands and data, preventing passwords and sensitive information from being transmitted in the clear over the network. It is functionally similar to FTP, but because it uses a different protocol, you can't use a standard FTP client to talk to an SFTP server, nor can you connect to an FTP server with a client that supports only SFTP.

The protocol itself does not provide authentication and security; it expects the underlying protocol to

secure this. SFTP is most often used as subsystem of SSH protocol version 2 implementations.

The connection to an sftp server is more secure in comparison to your FTP connection.

Regards,

Saiyog

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's always nice to provide the source of information