cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO Dashboards, FAQ links?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where could I find a FAQ section on the BO dashboards, 4.1 sp5?

I am new to dashboards, but was developer for Crystal Reports 11 (and earlier versions). 

I am wondering if we can migrate our .rpt files to a .xlf format? 

I am reading the Dashboards and presentation design User Guide. 

This product appears to be a presentation layer (only) for reports.  The data sources are tables (only).  Is that correct?    Does the dashboard have a report designer, with logic capabilities? 

Also, what are the limits on the number of variables on both the x and y axis? 
(can I chart, say: 100 stores, and their sales over 365 day period , ie, listing 100 stores on the x axis, and sales on y axis?)

is Xcelsius the same product as BO Dashboard?  (is it an earlier version, or totally different?)

Where can I find this type of info?   

Thank you.

(-fyi, screen shot of manual, attached)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Below is the link for dashboard tutorials :

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7946

Regards,
Abhilasha

Former Member
0 Kudos

perfect, thank you.

I'll close this thread.

-Wait, how do I close threads I started? 

I would hate to open a tread on how to close a thread   

Do I have the right to close a thread I start?  I didn't see that in the rules of engagement...

-moderator, please close this thread. 

vijaymuniraj
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Bill,

Once you marked Correct Answer for the reply which you got solution, that will be considered as it is closed. I think you already done it.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

vijaymuniraj
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Bill,

Go through the below thread for your better understanding.

Thanks

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am wondering if we can migrate our .rpt files to a .xlf format?

If your question was in terms of a tool that can do the migration - then No - there are no tools for this conversion. You have to recreate the dashboard from scratch manually.

This product appears to be a presentation layer (only) for reports.  The data sources are tables (only). 

Dashboards is for high level reporting and is used mainly to create visually appealing reports. It can connect to variety of data sources including, but not limited to Web services, xml, universe (query browser), etc and of course your offline data.

Does the dashboard have a report designer, with logic capabilities?

Excel formulas are supported (Not all, but a very decent list of formula are supported) so you can manipulate the data with these functions.

Also, what are the limits on the number of variables on both the x and y axis?

The default limit for the number of rows is 512. (it is under File->Preferences) But you can change it. Once you start working with huge data set you will experience behavioral inconsistencies.

is Xcelsius the same product as BO Dashboard?  (is it an earlier version, or totally different?)

Dashboard is nothing but the latest & upgraded version of XCelsius.

Dashboards has the capability to consume data from web-I reports (web-I block published as a web service). If your data size is large, aggregate the data using web-I and then consume it within your dashboard.

FYI - Design studio is the new tool positioned for dash boarding and apps by SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!!!

We have a number of complex reports (w/ subreports), that are presented via BOE, or as saved data (pdf's). 

My concern is providing results to customers with .rpt  and then creating data-marts or views for dashboards that may show different results...

I'll need to do some analysis on the existing reports, and see how difficult it will be to create these views.

*if I understand correctly, *

-The better strategy is using dashboards for live, very dynamic data, and less complex reports, and using the .rpt file for more complex end of month / YTD, and summary type reporting. 

(ie, queues would be good for dashboards, but end of month, or caseload type reports are better suited in CR.

I will look into design studio.  - good tip! thanks again.

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR definitely for complex reports and dashboards for highly aggregated - handful of records.

It sounds like scheduling (publishing & report bursting)  seems to be one of your use cases. Unfortunately you cannot do that with dashboards.

Before you conclude on a tool, write down all your business needs (For example say, offline availability, viewable on Mobile, export to excel and or PDF functionality, the volume of the data the report will handle, the target audience, Scheduling, etc) and see which tool suits your requirement best. This will also help you to narrow down the available options.

Below video on choosing the right client tool might give you some insights as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFRXWmmCT0

All the best.

vijaymuniraj
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Dashboards is only right product when you want to show aggregated/summarized data with more graphical representation. In my personal experience, migrating .rpt files into .xlf is not right way as its functionalities are different. I would suggest to go for Web Intelligence tool.

Thanks

Vijai Muniraj