cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage unit number assignment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

We have developed one transaction where I will creating bin to bin transfer from non su managed storage type to su managed storage type.

In My case destination bin for all the line of the transfer order will be same. So I want that when Storage unit number assigned for 1st line item then same storage unit number should be copied to rest items. but when we are trying to do this we are getting error that "storage unit xyz exists already. Check your number ranges.

Thanks,

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you know what a storage unit is?

Former Member
0 Kudos

On goods receipt by default we will be receiving material to XYZ storage bin

From there we want to transfer material  to high rack bin in different storage type. For this reason we have created zprogram so that user will select multiple material at bin XYZ & then he will create transfer order where destination bin for all the line item will be same.

As material is on single pallet we want that storage unit number which is assigned to 1st mateiral should be assigned to all the lien items of the transfer order.

Thanks,

Kiran

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How can a SU number be assigned  only to the first item but not to the other items, or do all items have individual SU numbers but you want only a common number?

you may start again from the docu: Adding Materials to an Existing Storage Unit - Warehouse Management Guide - SAP Library

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want common SU number for all the item.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That was already understood, but what do you have currently?

Have you checked the docu link which explains how this is achieved in standard? Whatever you do in your Z-report it does probably not mimic the standard way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know we can do addition to existing SU. But I understand that it will lead to 2 TO number creation. 1st for Storage unit cfreation & another was for assigning items to that SU. which I don't want.

I am planning to have stategy as P & will do config so that one bin will have only one pallet. Then while creating transfer order through zprogram I will pass same destination storage bin hope this will resolve the issue storage unit number assignment. Will let you know once this is tested.

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that your case would require Handling unit management to be practiced by standard SAP functionality.
I guess that is out of the question. So, the only solution for you is a user exit on TO confirmation, which will after confirmation of all the items, take the SU from the first TO item and use it as a destination for all the other items in this TO, with the same destination bin (by replicating standard functionality). As a result you will have one putaway TO for all the items, and several TO's created and confirmed in background for relocation to the same SU number. But as I said that'd be automated and in bckg, so no additional hassle for the administrator. WIll mean some hassle to your ABAP guy though.

So, temporarily, you will initially transfer all the items to different SUs in the same bin, and you won't even notice that - since in real time they will be moved to the same bin and the same SU taken from the first item, and this is done in "stealth mode", operator wouldn't even know it, but he could monitor the process in LX02, LT23 or LS03, LS24 or any other t-code where you can see TOs or bin stock.

But some other questions arise here - like what are the quantities on a TO that can be put onto 1 SU, do you have limits or not? I mean this is a serious development to be, so serious thinking will be required to cover all the aspects on this one. I guess you have maybe figured this out already, but just to note it can be a significant factor in the complexity of the solution.
If you manually choose which items go to the same bin (I think I understood it like that since you wanted to achieve to manually enter the same SU) than I guess you don't need to automate that part of the process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I have open storage strategy then by user exit we are able to achieve this. But we have planned putaway strategy as P.

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are not right about that.

User exit which should be used for this is;

MWMTO002 Update own data after TO confirmation

For this user exit it doesn't matter what your putaway strategy is, it will be processed.
I have succesfully used it with all storage type strategies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are able to manage this while TO creation itself.