cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File name specification when using iDOC as a source

Jan_van_Ansem
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am trying to set up a batch job, using iDOCs from SAP CRM as a source.

I am familiar with the steps describing the configuration for real time scenarios, expertly described in

I am also aware the question has been asked before but was not answered:

So, here is the same question again: What should I specify in the 'IDOC FILE' property of the IDOC object in my dataflow?

To me, it doesn't make sense as the source is CRM using a RFC interface, so why should I specify an IDOC FILE?

For references, here is my dataflow:

And below is the property on the IDOC object (I have included the object in the dataflow using option 'Make iDOC file source' instead of 'make idoc message source' - as I am trying to set up a batch job, not a real time job).

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

DS batch jobs cannot process IDoc messages as sources, only IDoc files. And obviously, a file hss got to have a name.

This (and much more ) is all throughly explained in the SAP Data Services Supplement for SAP guide, ch. 4.6 IDoc interface connectivity.

Jan_van_Ansem
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk,

What I had in mind was a batch job which pulls the data from SAP CRM over the RFC connection using iDocs.

Conceptually this would be very similar to using BW Extractors or direct table reads over an RFC connection - none of these communication types requires a file definition at either end.

I had configured the iDOC / partner interface with an RFC destination as a target, and thought I would be able to use this as a source in a BODS batch job.

If I understand it correctly, what I should do instead is configure the idoc / partner interface to target 'flat file', and then pick up this flat file in my BODS batch interface.

The downside is that I have to run two independent processes: One on SAP CRM to produce the iDOC file, and one on Data Services to pick up and further process the file.

(I suppose I could trigger the job on SAP CRM from Data Services, but as this is a one-off migration that is not so important to me).

So in my scenario, where I want to migrate from SAP CRM to another SAP CRM, the steps are:

1. set up idoc interface on CRM to destination flat file.

2. create batch BODS job to further validating / transforming the flat file

3. create BODS job to load validated and modified file to new SAP CRM system.

Is this a good scenario for Data Migration from / to SAP CRM (provided I have complex transformations which I prefer to manage in BODS instead of LSMW) or are there better approaches?

Thanks for your insights,

Jan.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you prefer DS above LSMW (as I do ), that's the right approach.

Only remark is there's no need to create a file for an inbound IDoc; your step 3 will work fine with a target IDoc message.

Jan_van_Ansem
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Many thanks for your input.

Jan.

Answers (0)