Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PO 7.4 upgrade methodology

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in middle of upgrading our PI 7.1 instance to PO 7.4 (Java only). Since in-place upgrade from dual stack to Java only is not possible, the only way is to new install of PO 7.4 and migrate the objects from PI 7.1 to new system.

I was referring the SAP Document How-To-Guide "Decision making factors when moving to SAP Netweaver Process Integration 7.3"

It says you can migrate the content from old instance to new one in phased manner, while both Production instances (7.1 and 7.4) are in use.

My question is, If I use this methodology, Is there some time constraint for duration of project or would there be any license agreement violation?

Can anybody please help to answer this?

Thanks

Vik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Team

Currently we are having PI 7.31 needed to be upgraded to 7.4

We need to Migrate the system before upgrading to support-(ie:RHEL 6.X-currently the OS is RHEL 5.0)

Please suggest the best approach to complete the migration and upgrade

1)currently we have ECC,SRM connected to the system are also needs to be upgraded to latest version

Regards

Shashi

sendhil_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

General steps while upgrading to PI 7.4 from lower versions, is you build the interfaces in New PI and ramp up the interfaces in new PI in Phased manner (few interfaces at a time, so other interfaces would still be running in old PI).

You would have to stop the interface in Production instance of 7.1 and ramp up in PI 7.4 immediately. As a fall back plan, you would have if the interface is not running as expected in new PI, you would roll back to your old PI.(Set channels to active and other activities in Old PI).

There would be no license violation, but since the prod environment is involved you would have the selected interfaces running in any one of the instances, not in both.

And regarding the time constraint, it depends on your client and your organizations agreement to roll out the interfaces in the number of phases. As long as you have license for both the instances you could have both running.

--

Sendhil

0 Kudos

Hi Sendhil,

Thanks for the information. Are there any links or threads talking about Best Practices for Migrating PI dual stack to PO7.4 or 7.5.

Many Thanks,

Venkat

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Check below document.

Regards,

Praveen.

0 Kudos

Hi Raghuraman,

Thanks a lot, I will go through the same.

Many Thanks.,

Venkat

0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thanks a lot, I will go through the same.

Many Thanks.,

Venkat

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure venkat.Do close the thread once your query is addressed.

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vikas,

Is there some time constraint for duration of project

>>>> It depends on your client & the plan they have to move to latest PI version. It will depend on the number of Interfaces that you have in 7.1 & the complexity involved in migrating these to 7.4...more efforts & time might be required if you have max. of your interface logic in ABAP stack or using ccBPMs for which you need to estimate & give the timelines for migration.

there be any license agreement violation

>>>> I believe you still have to hold the licence for both 7.1 & 7.4 version, as you will be using both of them until the older one is phased out completely.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Azhar

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Azhar,

Thanks for your answer.

We have the CPU based license for PI and same can replicate to any version (7.1 or 7.4) as long as we don't exceed the CPU count. Now my only concern is if we have 4 CPU license and one PI 7.1 Production instance is already running on it and now if we add another 4 CPU instance for PI 7.4 (although temporarily for the migration from 7.1 to 7.4). Will that cause license agreement violation or that is supported by SAP?

Thanks

Vik