cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Transfer Order Confirmation for Picking

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need to partially confirm transfer orders when picking.

The scenario is that we:

1.  Have large bins that hold up to 30 pallets of the same material.

2.  Have large orders that often pick a full truckload of the same material (22 pallets).

3.  Pick by case quantity (not pallet quantity).

4.  Pick using RF devices.

We often send pickers to one bin location to pick 22 pallets.  If each pallet holds 100 cases, the pick list says pick 2,200 cases.

The forklift driver can only pick 2 pallets at a time.

So when he picks his first two pallets, we need to partially confirm the TO of 2,200 for 200 pieces that were picked.  Then - as 2 more are picked - we need to partially pick for those quantities until it is completely picked.

We have not been able to find that this is possible in any way in standard SAP WM.   Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to automate this, the only achievable way is to code a user exit to:
a) either split one TO to several items (2 pallets qty per)
b) or split to more TOs (2 pallet qty per TO)

If you need, I can give you or your ABAP-er a few instructions on option b) e.g. which user exit to use and which internal tables to modify to make that work as desired (create multiple TOs).

I'd personally go with option a) but I can't rememeber now which user exit is used for that and how to manipulate the internal tables. You can do the research on this option yourself, there's plenty of topics on that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No SU or HU management anywhere in Whse.

We do maintain a pallet qty in the material master.  But we do not pick in pallets.  We pick in cases because we do not always pick a full pallet qty.

We see one line for 2,200 cases on the TO because there is one line for 2,200 cases on the delivery.

The technology by which we pick is probably not relevant.  But if it would help - we print a pick list that is then scanned by an RF device which confirms the TO lines in real time.  It is a custom RF transaction.

The bottom line question here is simple.  Can you partially confirm a TO line?  If you have X qty on a picking TO, can you in any way confirm less than X and then confirm the remainder of X later?

Former Member
0 Kudos

RE: Can you partially confirm a TO line?

You can confirm a T.O. line item for less then the full amount but it will not remain open because the assumption is that you cannot supply the full amount if you attempt to confirm for less then the full line item qty. The concept is confirmation with differences and it is for shortage handling. SAP design is to pick a transfer order line item complete with one confirmation provided the stock is available. You can separate the picking into separate line items in your scenario (unit pick, case pick, pallet pick for example) but there is no standard functionality to allow multiple partial confirmations against the same T.O. line item.

RE: If you have X qty on a picking TO, can you in any way confirm less than X and then confirm the remainder of X later?

Not with standard, I would build some count down functionality into your custom RF picking transaction or separate the picking quantities in your transfer orders so they can actually confirm each line item based on what they are taking from the BIN.(one line in the T.O. per pallet)

Sorry, nothing in standard SAP to allow that

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Jacob.

I think we have established that there is not a standard way to pick less quantity than a full TO line and do the rest later.

Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this?  Surely this has to be something that is fairly common.

Thanks

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say it is common to have storage unit management in a case that you want confirm each transport of a single pallet (SU) .

At least you need to have an extra TO item for each individual quantity to be moved. did you already try to achieve this by going through the palletization screen?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I doubt any one has done that customization when it can be done through standard by splitting the quantity in the transfer order to confirm each line for each pallet and/or by using SU and scanning each SU as its picked.

In your scenario its confirming with a difference and you have basically two choices: send the remaining quantity to 999 or leave the stock in source bin. Either way the line item is getting fully confirmed (even if its for a lesser qty).

Best of luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nobody has faced this situation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day,

I believe more information is needed to reply.

Is your picking storage location SU controled (do you use SU or HU or neither)?

Do you maintain a pallet quantity in your material master data?

In the transfer order do you see one line for the entire quantity of 2,200 cases or 2,200 separate lines in the transfer order?

You mentioned picking via RF and then you mention a pick list, are you picking via RF or paper pick list?

If RF what transaction are you using (custom or standard)?

The above details and any other you can think to add (related to your current process) might help to illicit a reply.

Kind regards