SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill Print Options

Former Member
0 Kudos

We currently create an RDI file to extract data for our bill print process.  When there are major changes to the bill, we modify the RDI file.  The back and forth process of getting the correct information in the RDI file takes too much time.  Are there better options for getting data out of SAP for bill printing besides the print workbench for RDI?

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Janice,

PWB is the best available option for printing bills. PWB provides most of the data through form classes and you don't have to fetch the required data using custom code. Coding is required only for custom requirements.

Can you provide more details in terms of what sort of changes are there on the bill and why it takes too much time get the correct information?

Thanks,

Amit

0 Kudos

Amit:  Thank you for your reply.  We understand that print workbench (PWB) is the best available option; however we are looking for innovative approaches to perform the same.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I suppose you could have a maintainable custom table that contains data as follows:

Field number (on Bill, for mapping)

Field Name

Technical field name

Source SAP table

Output length on Bill

Character Position on Bill (based on codes agreed with 3rd party)

Then you could run a batch program that reads the above attributes for each invoice produced and outputs a file that contains on the fields in the format as maintained in the custom table.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ivor

0 Kudos

Thanks Ivor!  While I appreciate your response, I am looking for an innovative approach that is being used successfully and would be a recommended approach by the responder.  

Regards,

Janice

0 Kudos

Hi,

Alternatively you can try XMLs which can be given to third party system (if you are using third party to print invoice).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Vipin KV

0 Kudos

Thanks Vipin for your reply.    We have contacted a company that is using XML and we will be evaluating the benefits in the near future.

Janice