cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IQ and multiple databases

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is it possible run multiple databases on one IQ server or run multiple IQ server on one host.

We have IQ EE license.

As i now SAP not recommended to run multiple database on one IQ server but i don't know why?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

On IQ, don't even think about multiple databases.   You can separate storage using multiple dataspaces but it will require the VLDB license.

Set up and segregate your schemas so each schema is accessible only to a specified set of users/roles.  Basically use the schemas as if they were individual databases.

jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

And what about run multiple servers on one host? Then each database will be run on separate IQ server.

jong-kil_park
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Przemyslaw,

It's fine to run multiple IQ servers on the same host.

They will be able to run separately and share the same license.

But, what you need to consider in running IQ servers like that is how you manage resources like CPU, Memory as well as I/O subsystems for those IQ servers.

It's because we can't dedicate the resources physically, especially CPUs, to the individual IQ server.

We can specify '-iqnumbercpus' switch in the configuration file, but it's only for resource planning purpose.

Best Regards

Jerry

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's great.

Thank you very much for help.

Regards

Przemek

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

One other thing to think of - if you are considering cross-schema/cross-database joins (like ASE) then use separate schemas (Jason's answer).

Joining across databases is not optimal, whether on the same hardware or (not suggested) multiple databases in the same server.  Either way you would be using CIS and proxy tables.

For best IQ performance, keep all the data in the same physical database.

Chris

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

In production, you should only have one IQ server per host, as sharing resources can impact performance

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

saroj_bagai
Contributor
0 Kudos

No only one database per  IQ server.    SQL Anywhere  supports multiple databases per server, not IQ