cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy SAP data from production to development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I would like to copy the production master data and transaction data from production system to development, for testing purposes ,

This copy shouldn't affects the code /tables or versions , only data.

Is this possible in SAP.

Best regards,

Zahi.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Zahi,

This is not the concept of a system copy or database refresh. For example, I'm not sure if you can simple transport data from a system to another without harming the target system - and it's also not specified whether you want to overwrite this data (erase the data in the target, insert new) or simple merge data. And in this case I'm considering that your 3-system landscape is running on the same support pack stack, database version, etc.

Would make sense if you want to copy a client from the production to the development system:

If you simply want to refresh the development or a test system with the entire production data (and therefore database), makes more sense to perform a system copy or database refresh

If this is right, you can check the SAP Note 151603 - Copying a SQL Server Database

You might want to check also the system copy guides under the following site: Service Marketplace - Installation & Upgrade Guides

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

SAP Active Global Support

SAP on Microsoft Platforms

-> http://scn.sap.com/community/sqlserver

-> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/saponsqlserver

-> http://scn.sap.com/community/windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks ,

I don't want to do a system copy because I don't want to change code or versions,

My target is only to be able testing on my development system,

Just to reproduce my production data on my Development  system.

Best regards,

Zahi.

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Zahi,

This process of moving the data from your production to your development is called system copy.

Check the guides and notes mentioned by Luis.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

SAP Support

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Zahi,

It's simply not possible.

In a correct development cycle you should have your code at the test system exactly as your production system. When it's time to move to the QA and test the development, you must first copy the production system to QA (database refresh/copy) and then you perform any transport from your development to your QA to test the changes/etc with the production content.

If you just want to move client-specific data from PRODUCTION to QA, you can use a remote client copy.

Regards,

Luis Darui

zobair
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

We would like to refresh our DEV system from PRD system.

In fact, our DEV system becomes a Sandbox (a lot of transport requests are not released, local objects are created and system is unstable...)

Recently, developers started developing directly in PROD system !!!

DEV, QAS & PRD systems are not aligned anymore.

My question, do we still have to follow instructions describes in note 130906? I mean "Export/Import the version database"? Is there any sense?

My second question is related to this sentence:

The version history of changed SAP objects in particular, and customer objects is important for future SAP upgrades.

What is the impact on an Upgrade? (we are going to upgrade our landscape)

Is there an impact only on the standard objects or also on Z-objects? Latest object version is not enough?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Zobair

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Zobair,

Please don't post the same comment multiple times to different threads, as it serves no purpose, especially as the other thread you posted to is six years old.

In this case, you aren't helping to answer the OP's question, you are posting your own new question. You would likely be better served by posting it as a new thread.

Cheers,

Matt

zobair
Participant
0 Kudos

No problem Matt.

I did it because I need a very quick answer.

Business would like to do the intervention this w-e 😞

Thank you for your reply.

Zobair

New thread:  Refresh DEV system from PROD system - System Copy | SCN

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zahi

1. You can use the Test Data migration (TDMS)

refer the SCN link

SAP Test Data Migration Server - Test Data Migration Server - SCN Wiki

2. You can try it out through Client copy from production to Development.

BR

SS