cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM: Could not start SAP instance with number 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been struggling from this issue since 2 days, and was not sure how to proceed further. I am doing an SPS upgrade from 11 to 13 on our SAP Solution Manager 7.1(AIX 6.1, Oracle 11g), and am getting the following error in Execution step for Java:

Could not start SAP instance with number 2. Could not check if the instance number 2 on host sm1adm is started. Sapcontrol client could not perform action wait for started on instance 2 Return code condition success evaluated to false for process sapcontrol for action wait for started.

I have retried after going through a number of forums but with no luck. Following are the screenshots of the log file and SUM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Preet

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

0 Kudos

Hello Preet Inder Sodhi.

im facing exactly the same error in SOLMAN 7.1 SPS14 now.( On Linux) what was the solution last year to fix the error of hostctrl? The SUM didnt runs foreward, after a update of hostagent to the newest version, ect. So, could you remember ? I removed / exchanged the SAP JVM and face the problem! What a pitty! Java Instance didnt comes up!

Greets

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

OK, maybe you clarified this in earlier posts but, is it only SUM that cannot start the instance?

Can you manually start it? I'm a windows guy so via the MMC or whatever you use on AIX.

Also, on windows and still with  SOLMAN, we have the config tool or admin tool whatever its called now, if you launch that and connect to DB, can it? Maybe the passwords in the secure store is messed up?

But again im a windows guy, not even sure you have that as an option.

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Also I would try either an older or new version of SUM. I've seen it where I went back to an older one and resolved my issues. Also have you updated to the latest SUM kernel?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preet,

Perform a complete restart of the server and try manually starting the instances. I had similar issues and this solution worked for me. If the issue still exists, then provide the logs as per Gaurav.

Thanks,
kavitha Rajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kavitha,

Since we are not the owners of the server box, we have raised a ticket for server reboot on which upgradation is being done. I will provide the logs(if issue persists), once the box is restarted.

Regards,

Preet

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preet,

Please check if instance 02 is started or not. If not check the
SAPCONTROL*.OUT files for output why commands executed by SUM failed.

Based on error, we can suggest further actions. Based on my experience, most of the times its
parameter service/protectedwebmethods = NONE which have to be set in start (if existing) or instance profile
and then restart the sapstartsrv .

update us accordingly.

BR,
Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

I have checked all the SAPCONTROL_PARAMETERVALUE_*.OUT files, and none shows any discrepency with parameters. I have also added the parameter service/protectedwebmethods = NONE to both instance profiles of 02 and 04(Shadow instance), but with no luck.

Regards,

Preet

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Preet,

Did you check in sapcontrol_start* log and sapcontrol_waitforstarted* log file.
Anything there ?

What happens if you try to start the instance manually with command executed by SUM?
### you can find the commands executed in second screenshot you posted.

BR,
Gaurav

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

/transfer/SUM_2015/SUM/sdt/tmp/SAPCONTROL_START_2_17.OUT

/transfer/SUM_2015/SUM/sdt/tmp/SAPCONTROL_WAITFORSTARTED_2_17.OUT

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preet ,

After you added the parameter .

Did you restart SAP  [ Also  All sapstartsrv process needs to be restarted ]

Better do a server restart

Also can you post the output of

/usr/sap/SM1/DVEBMGS02/exe/sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <passwordd> -function Start  -debug  and post the output

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

A restart at application level was manually done, but it still didn't bring SAP system up. Here is the result of the command:

/usr/sap/SM1/DVEBMGS02/exe/sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <passwordd> -function Start  -debug

Regards,

Preet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Please find the details of the files:

/transfer/SUM_2015/SUM/sdt/tmp/SAPCONTROL_START_2_17.OUT

/transfer/SUM_2015/SUM/sdt/tmp/SAPCONTROL_WAITFORSTARTED_2_17.OUT

Currently I'm working with OS team to get the server restarted, let us see if that works for us.

Regards,

Preet

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preet,

As you can see that there is no authorization or similar issue reported. So parameter mentioned did not help. I would suggest to check server logs for java instance to check the reason or error due to which J2ee start failed.

Thanks.

BR,
Gaurav

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

???

Made default profile change:
Service/protectedwebmethods = None.

Note:1563660

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

I have made the changes in both the 02 instance profile as well as shadow profile(04), but it didn't help.

Regards,

Preet

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preet,

Kindly run the below command and send the output

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function WaitforStarted 7200 5

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function GetProcessList

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function Start

Also do paste the log START-AS-JAVA_18.log file.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

Please find the result of the following commands:

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function WaitforStarted 7200 5

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function GetProcessList

- sapcontrol -nr 2 -host sapsm1 -user sm1adm <password> -function Start

Also, please see the attached Java logs.

Regards,

Preet

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you share START-AS-JAVA_18.log file as an attachment ?

Thanks,

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Preet ,

traverse to the following directory [ as user root ]

/usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/exe

/sapmnt/SID/exe

and run saproot.sh <SID>

and try once again

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Please find the attached START-AS-JAVA_18.log file.

Regards,

Preet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

I have tried this as per one of the post, it is not working after running saproot.sh command.

Regards,

Preet