cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access contents of a file with extension *.txt.pgp ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How to access contents of a file with extension *.txt.pgp

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you send the message sender a public key for encryption?

If yes, use the corresponding private key to decrypt the message, else ask the sender of the message to either send unencrypted or encrypted with your public key.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member183816
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Whoever has provided you that file. Ask him to decrypt that, there is no way you can decrypt (Pretty Good Privacy: PGP Encryption). Pretty Good Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the best of publicly available information, there is no known method which will allow a person or group to break PGP encryption by cryptographic or computational means. 

Evidence suggests that as of 2007, British police investigators are unable to break PGP,[10] so instead have resorted to using RIPA legislation to demand the passwords/keys. In November 2009 a British citizen was convicted under RIPA legislation and jailed for nine months for refusing to provide police investigators with encryption keys to PGP-encrypted files

Source: wiki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kary,

PGP is an encrypted file extension.

The file is encrypted using a public key.

If you want to access the contents of a .PGP file you need to have the corresponding private key.

Below is the link for such a configuration using SFTP channel :

Hope it answers your queries.

Thanks,

Satanik

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Satanik,

Thanks for your answer, but just a little correction here.

There are two things when PGP is involved: signing and encryption..

For signing PI person creates the keys and holds the private keys with himself and shares the public keys.

Whereas for encrption, the third party encrypts the file using their private key and they share public key with PI which we use in channel.

In some scenarios encryption is not neccesary and only signing is enough.

But in anycase .Both these keys goes at backend of PI .

usr/sap/<System ID>/<Instance ID>/sec

and used in channel like the screen shot attached.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dilip,

Thank you for rectifying.

It was a typo.

Public key will be needed for the decryption of the messages.

Hello ,

Please check with the sender of the message if it has been simply signed or encrypted as well.

Thanks,

Satanik.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Decryption with public key makes no sense as anyone having your public key can decrypt your message.

Encryption is always done by the sender of the message with the public key of receiver.

Decryption is always done by the receiver with the receivers private key.

Adding a signature to a message is always done by the sender with the senders private key.

Verification of the signature is always done by the receiver with the message senders public key.

0 Kudos

Hi Dilip,

I am working on establishing Interface connectivity with Concur. Can help me understand the technical details of a SFTP connection to Concur?

Specifically, we’re using SFTP to transfer files using PGP encryption. We have both inbound &
outbound files & we’re not able to encrypt / decrypt files with Concur using SAP PI 7.40 (we receive an error message regarding “illegal key size”).

Can you also provide me details regarding the PGP Keys that were created (algorithms, bit size, etc) in your Project?

We have already tried RSA/RSA 2048, and DSA/ElGamal 2048 + We also updated unlimited strength JCA Policy Files but nothing seems to work.

Regards,

Amit Singh

former_member184948
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atin,

Thanks for asking.

As a matter of fact I had last done pgp encryption for Concur bank , we too used PI 7.40

1)We can see that the pgp keys you are using has problem .I used one URL for creating pgp keys, but later on we also had to use keys for connecting Chase bank and they had extra requirement that the keys should have expiry date.So we used GPG4WIN/KEOPATRA, its free.You can use other sites also for creating keys.

2)Using algorithm is not mandatory.by default it uses SHA1 .I am giving help.sap URL for referring that.

3)Unlimited JCA policy is for avoiding bouncy castle error. Good thing you did that.

Also in file name in SFTP channel write .pgp at the end , ti doesn't add it by itself

Let me know if anymore information is required.

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw-secure-connect102/helpdata/en/8b/11483856d04f6b9c7bf378ecd1670c/cont...

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kary,

I think your file is encrypted, please check this thread

Regards