Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a question,

If i was to do a kernel upgrade, i would have to stopsap and stop the database too. Why exactly do we have to stop the database to do a kernel upgrade?

What is the importance.

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One more thing. Since NW04s we have JSPM which takes care of the kernel upgrade. So we don't need to stop or start the instance. JSPM takes care of it.

reward points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have read the responses.

Let me clarify.

there are two SAR files. SAPEXE.SAR and SAPEXEDB.SAR.

One is database independent and other is database dependent.

So we need to bring both the instance and database down for the upgrade to happen.

reward points to keep the spirit alive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To perform a kernle upgrade, SAP should be down because the changes won't take effect and make sure that the services related to SAP and database should stopped otherwise you won't able to upgrade the kernel. To be on a safe side, always shutdown database along with SAP.

Thanks and Regards

Syed Shoeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

are you only doing kernel upgrade for only R/3 or its includs database kernel too. then you have to stop both R/3 and DB as well. for more details follow Note 19466 - Downloading SAP kernel patches

Cheers,

-Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

You can stop the database using the standard tools that come with the database. Depends on what tools your using. It can also be done through SAP MMC.

However as stated already for kernel upgrade there is no need for bring the database down. Bringing down SAP is enough.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When we are doing kernel upgrade means no need to stop the database.Only thing is we need to stop the r\3 system.

Kernel upgrade means we are updating the exe files.Means we are updating exe files from older version to newer version.

If the sap sytem is up means we cannot update the exe files in to newer version.So,SAP recommends when we are doing kernel upgrade we need to stop the sp system.

For more information login to <b>service.sap.com</b>.

i hope it will help you.

kiran kumar.v

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ravi,

Technically, stopping the R3 alone will be sufficient to do a kernel upgrade. There is no need to bring the DB instance down.

Award points if it clears your query.

Regards,

VInodh