cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it necessary to build attribute views for script based calculation view?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My previous plan was to build all necessary attribute views first then graphic calculation views,

however I realized that it is quicker to build only one script based calculation view and do a big select within it.

So the sql script in my script based calview would be like the following

var_out = select a.xx,

a.xx,

b.xx,

b.xx,

c.xx,

from a join b join c...

where xxx

group by xxxx

And all attributes would be directly be posted the output even there is no attribute views involved.

And the input parameter can directly reference to db table.

So my question is : is it necessary to build attribute views for script based calculation views?  If so, any benefits?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fred,

Couple of reasons I would say are a) Re-usability and b) Easy maintenance.

a) re-usability:

If the calculation view you are trying to build is on some master data, then the same master data would be useful for different reporting object as well where you can reuse the same attribute views.

Like for example customer information can be used to analyse Sales as well as purchase information.

from re-usability perspective it would be better to create individual attribute views and use them calculation view.

b) Easy Maintenance:

for GUI based objects like attribute views,analytic views and calculations, you can easily check where used list by right click on it or if you open the object you will quickly come to know what tables has been used and how those are joined.

However if you directly use tables then to check the dependency you need to look at view OBJECT_DEPENDENCIES in SYS schema.

In my opinion the best practice would be if the solution is feasible using GUI modeling then go for it, if not then only create script based object.

Regards,

Venkat N.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I say the big select in calculation view and star schema based information view are technically identical? The only difference is the later one is star schema and easy to extend and maintain.

One thing in my mind is there is dimension ID in BW while there is not in HANA models, as a result, in my mind information views with and without attribute views are identical technically. 

Fred

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fred - The document below might help. I like it because it is short and to the point.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6056911a-07cc-2e10-7a8a-ffa9b8cf5...

Also, you can create SQL Views also.

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaone/helpdata/en/20/d5fa9b75191014a33eee92692f1702/content.htm

Up to you to choose your method.