cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Designer advantages vs Sparx EA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some of my coleagues use Sparx Enterprise Architect for data modelling. Just because this tool is available for them.

Maybe it's good idea to use more sophisticated and dedciated tool (such as PowerDesigner) for data modeling and data model magement especially for large models in data warehouse.

Could you share any rationale to change Sparx EA to PowerDesginer? What are the main functional advantages of PD against SparxEA?

Best regards and thank you in adnavce for your response

Tomek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

First, I am a little biased :-), but having said that, PowerDesigner is a leader in both data modeling and EA and has years of experience in both markets.

PowerDesigner has been in the data modeling space for over 25 years and continues to evolve and add value to that market. You can achieve true information architecture via PowerDesigner's artifact sharing, multiple database support, multiple levels of synchronized data levels, and a centralized data glossary. PowerDesigner has much better database support and for a wider variety, represents standard data modeling technics better, and can support/scale in a team environment for centralized modeling efforts.

These are just some of the  points without any context of what you are trying to achieve besides data modeling.

HTH,

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. You’re right I should provide more context for such a comparison.

First I’m thinking about tool for managing large (hundreds of entities) data models (conceptual, logical, physical) in Data Warehouse. Team collaboration support will be essential because models will be developed iteratively.

You mentioned centralized data glossary. Is it a dedicated module or functionality in PD?

I’m looking for examples of functionalities available only in one of these tools, for example: in PD automatic changes propagation from logical to physical model (and in reverse way), easy comparison between 2 models during merging models.

Best regards

Tomek