cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous Migration of SAP NW 7.0 SP31

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

I have a requirement of migrating SAP Netweaver 7.0 system from Windows 2003 to 2008 R2 .

Source System Details :

SAP_BASIS7000031
SAP_ABA7000031
PI_BASIS2006_1_7000021
ST-PI2008_1_7000008
SAP_BW7000033

Even though it will support backup restore as a homogeneous migration , but to carry all netweaver settings well we are planning to proceed with EXPORT IMPORT with SWPM . As per note 789220 , SAP netweaver 7.0 SR3 contains following component:

SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Support Release 3

===================================

SAP_BASIS                      700              0014

SAP_ABA                        700               0014

SAP_BW                         700               0016

PI_BASIS                       2005_1_700    0014

We can see difference in SP level in both the cases , so will it be OK if I export & import the system by choosing SAP Netweaver 7.0 Support Release 3 -> system copy (available in 70SWPM SL Toolset) ?

Will it automatically update the SAP_BASIS, SAP_ABA etc components , once after importing the EXPORT in target system even though I select "SAP Netweaver 7.0 Support Release 3" option ?

Kindly help !!

Regards,

Nilutpal Sharmah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot to Reagan, Shahid  & Fraser for your valuable inputs. Just for confirmation , I am just restating that "SWPM-> "SAP Netweaver 7.0 Support release 3" option can be used for EXPORT IMPORT of SAP Netweaver 7.0 SP31 by using SWPM kernel.

@Matt Fraser: Your recommendation (backup - restore) is quite helpful , however as we are migrating from windows 2003 to windows 2008 R2 (Successor of Windows 2003, so HOMOGENEOUS), so will it be still OK? If we got ahead with this , then will the following steps work :

1. Install target vanilla system with same SID .

2. Then do DB backup restore by third party back-up tool after stopping the system.

Regards,

Nilutpal.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nilutpal,

The change of Windows version is irrelevant. It is still a homogeneous system copy, as long as you aren't changing the entire operating system or entire database platform (you can also change database versions, as long as it's still the same DBMS family (and within some Basis SP and kernel limitations), i.e. you can go from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 and from MS SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012, and it's still a homogeneous system copy, and yes, the backup/restore method is still valid. You do not need the export/import method for what you're trying to achieve.

Also, SWPM will install a new kernel, but it is not going to change your Basis/NetWeaver or support pack level. You are not installing a vanilla system. You are copying your existing system, including all of its support packs, configuration, etc. You do not install a system on the target host before doing the copy. You simply restore the database, then you run SWPM with the System Copy option. So, YES, you can use the "SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR 3" option for BACKUP/RESTORE (or export/import, but I'm strongly trying to discourage you from choosing that option) of your sp31 system.

Cheers,

Matt

former_member185326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Agree with Matt.

@ Nilutpal, Either you consider backup/restore or system copy, both do the same. However, I feel homogeneous system copy is easier than the backup/ restore method (considering the fact that you are going with same OS and DB vendors).

Note that, for homogeneous system copy you'll need a downtime of your source system to take export.

Hope your queries are clarified.

Regards,

Shahid Ahmed

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Backup/restore" and "export/import" are both homogeneous system copies, as long as the OS/DBMS platform remain the same (not counting version upgrades of either). They are just different ways of achieving the copy. "Export/import" is required for heterogeneous copies (where OS and/or DBMS change entirely), but is optional for homogeneous (in most cases). I have done both, and I don't actually think the "export/import" method is easier. It's not much more difficult, but it is a little bit more involved than the "backup/restore" method, and has more opportunities for errors to occur. Also, as you say, it involves source system downtime, whereas the "backup/restore" method does not.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nilutpal,

Shahid and Reagan have both given you good information. I'm just going to add one more thing. There is no danger when using the "database-dependent" backup/restore or detach/attach method of homogeneous system copy. Because nothing in the database is changed, you aren't going to lose any of your NetWeaver configuration.

The only thing that might change, and this is true with both methods of system copy, is your system profiles (instance, default, start). The SWPM tool will install new profiles with default parameters. Not really a problem, as it's very easy to then copy over the configuration settings you want to keep from your original profiles. Also, as Reagan said, the SWPM tool will install a new kernel for you which may or may not be at the same patch level as your source kernel. Not a problem, simply patch it to the latest level after the copy is done.

The only reason to choose the export/import method you mention is if you want to make a change to the on-disk layout of your database, i.e. distribute it across a different number of files, or redistribute the data evenly across the files. Likewise, with export/import, depending on the DBMS you are using, you may be able to apply compression to the target database during the import. However, if these are not factors in your system copy, then I would recommend investigating the backup/restore method, as it has a couple advantages. For one, it generally doesn't involve any downtime on the source system (assuming we're talking about ABAP systems), which might be important if you plan to keep using the source system. You simply copy the latest backup over to the target and restore it there before starting SWPM. For another, it's generally faster overall than the export/import method. Sometimes much faster. It also has fewer opportunities for errors to occur.

Cheers,

Matt

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

All ABAP components are stored in the database. If you do a system copy from source to target system using R3load export/import or using the database specific backup and restore the components and their SP level will remain the same. The tool is not going to update any of the components during the copy procedure. The only thing that can change when doing the system copy using the SWPM tool is the kernel patch/release level. It depends on what kernel you use to build the target system. Use the SWPM tool that supports the release of the system.

former_member185326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nilutpal,

No, it will not update. Whatever is your source system component levels, will be the same when you import on target system. Homogeneous system copy is a simple procedure. Your target system will be exactly a copy of your source. No support pack will be updated automatically, irrespective of what option you select.

Regards,

Shahid Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shahid,

If you notice my query, you can find that source system is having NW 7.0 with SP 31 and the used SWPM is supporting NW 7.0 Support release 3 , which is nothing but SP 14 as per note 789220. So, my question is that is it fine if I do EXPORT IMPORT by using 70SWPM by choosing NW 7.0 Support Rel 3 -> System copy .

Please suggest .

former_member185326
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, I have read and understood your query completely. My opinion and answer is still the same. Export of your source system (irrespective of the tool, unless it is supported), will remain the same when you import in target system. Tool will not update/ change anything with respect to Support packs or data of the system.

Regards,

Shahid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shahid,

Thanks for your explanation. Please consider my apology for not indulging much clarity in my query . I got your point. Actually I was having a doubt whether SWPM -> System Copy -> SAP Netwearver 7.0 Support Release 3 will be compatible for EXPORT / IMPORT or not for SAP netwever 7.0 SP 31 . Major drawing line behind this confusion is 789220  note mentioned mapping of Support Release and support packs as we can see difference between SPs corresponding to SR3 & the SP level of sourec system.

Thanks & Regards,

Nilutpal.