Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need recommendations PI Migration to 7.4 from 7.1

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm trying to perform a migration of PI objects from 7.1 to 7.4 but for some reasons the migration tool is posting an error message relating to authorizations but when i checked my profile the authorizations are updated as per the help doc. So to kick start as poc, i started doing a local file export but when i try to import i get an error message saying the path is not found which seems weird as the download and upload path as the same (desktop),

please can some thoughts be shared on:

1. is it okay to perform such local import and export to a different system

2. what are the limitations to be considered for such migrations

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>> is it okay to perform such local import and export to a different system

Should be fine. No issues in doing that way

>>>>2. what are the limitations to be considered for such migrations

If you use migration tools, i believe you don't need t select the new adapter metadata manually i.e. channel will be using the latest adapter metadata.

Manually exporting and importing involves considerable effort compare to migration tools

Migration tools allows you to create the Integrated Configuration objects directly for the classical scenario in previous version

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu,

1. is it okay to perform such local import and export to a different system

For ESR development the most cases will go right. Pay attention with java mapping because the two system have different JVM and perhaps any class is deprecated or similar.

For ID there is a tool to do the migration, checj this blog

2. what are the limitations to be considered for such migrations

You new PI 7,4 is a single or dual stack?, depending of this you can have extra considerations:

Finally, you can share the problem of the migration, may be someone on SCN could have the same issue.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We did a migration project over the last few months. Our approach was for every interface we took over we tested it and pushed it through to production. By doing this we made sure that we had a fall back and that we didnt do a big bang that will be a lot more risk.

We exported everything and imported it all. Just remember that the HTTP and IDoc adapters have moved from the ABAP stack and is now on the Java Stack. HTTP_AAE and IDoc_AAE.

Good luck with the migration. It is very easy.

Regards,

Jannus Botha

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Jannus , Did u typically re-key in or used the migration tool?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We decided not to go with the Migration Tool, because it felt like we didnt have that much control of what was being generated.

So we only exported the design part and just built the Config side. This way we improved our naming convention and doing a cleanup on the system. And exporting everything and then taking a interface live at a time gives you that much more control.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need advice on a few things.

Regards,

Jannus Botha