cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of Dialog Work Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are amidst of a migration project where we are merging two ERP systems in to one.

As part of this merger, we need to increase the dialog work process accordingly, as the number of concurrent users will be higher. What I see is that the maximum number of dialog work process is limited to 100. Is there any option to increase it more than 100?

We are on ERP6 with EHP6 . My kernel version is 721 with patch 400.

I have gone through the following note 9942, where it states that I can increase my work process number upto 512 for my kernel release, but I am not sure exactly on how to achieve it.

I have no problems with the memory, CPU etc., as we have very high end server (superdome) where we have 70 CPU's and nearly 500 GB memory.

I want to know if there is a way to increase the dialog work process to more than 100?

Increasing the work process in the profile parameter at the OS level will help? from SAP, it's throwing error that maximum dialog work process is crossed.

I don't want to go for an extra application server due to hardware restriction.

Kindly guide me.

Regards

Hari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari ,

Dont see any reason  why you are getting this error . [ Believe you should have already read 179224

Can you  send   rdisp* parameters from your instance profile  and the error screenshot .

Have you tried setting it from OS level and tried a restart ?

Thanks ,

Manu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manu,

Thanks for your reply.

Please find below the rdisp parameters which is currently in place.

When I try to increase the value and save the profile, it gives me the below error

I have not tried setting them from OS level but, I read on a thread that it can be done that way, but It was not 100% sure.

Regards

Hari

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try from OS Level  [ Make the entry in the concerned Instance profile ]  . You can also ignore this error message and proceed .

If the restart is fine you may import the profile from Txn RZ10

Any issues while starting let us know [ You already know the cause anyways 🙂 , )

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

That error is thrown just because there is minimum and maximum value for the parameter rdisp/wp_no_dia and you are setting the value which is above the maximum value. Call Tx RZ11 and check the maximum value allowed for the profile parameter rdisp/wp_no_dia. I have never seen a single insatnce with 100 DIA's but I have seen multiple AS's used. The error should not block you from saving the profile changes. I would modify the profile and see if it works. If it fails to start the system then stick with 100. The SAP note 9942 - Maximum number of work processes is speaking about all the work proceses and not just for the DIA's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, error is not stopping me from saving the profile. I was bit skeptical about adding it when error was there in the system. I saw the error is only because the rdisp/wp_no_dia is set to maximum of 100.

I will try to add more number of dialog work process and see if it helps.

Thanks

Hari

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would agree with Reagan, the note he describes mentions the fact that although newer kernels support higher than 100 processes, there might be some odd piece of code that still relies on work process count being less than 100, so you are better off using less than 100.

If you need more work processes, you can install a dialog instance on the same hardware.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hari,

As Sriram said you can add instances to your system to distribute the load.

And also you can check below link. It gives # of wps according to # of cores and processors.

Determining the Number of Work Processes

I have extracted below note from a training material also.

Note:

As a rule of thumb, you can estimate for an SAP ERP Central Component system one dispatcher can handle 100 dialog work processes and one dialog work process can handle 10 high load parallel user. This means that one dispatcher can handle 1000 high load parallel users per instance and as many named users as you want per instance.

You can differentiate users according to number of steps.

Users

Low Activity

Medium Activity

High Activity

Total Users

dialog steps per week

1 to 399

400 to 4799

4800 or more

You can check also for Dynamic Work Processes.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yuksel and Sriram

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in my first message, we have some restriction in terms of hardware and hence we are not going for another application server. Hence, I would need some solution for my future situation.

Also, regarding the training material note, I guess you suggest that 100 dialog workprocess is sufficient for as many as 1000 high load parallel users. I my case, we are expecting atleast 150 concurrent users at the system during high activity period. Hence, I am not sure if 100 dialog work process will create any bottleneck at later point.

Regarding the Dynamic Work process, I guess it can only be increased or decreased within the assigned number of work process. Hence, if I need more than 100 dailog work process, I can pick some from background work process. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

My requirement is on all time basis, I need a certain number of dialog work process ( eg:150) and certain number of background work process in place without having the dynamic work process in place.

Regards

Hari

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hari,

As for the document for NW 7.4 # of wps can change according to your sources. And these are recommendations.

You can arrange max wp and configurable wp counts like 200. And whenever you need more than 100 DIA Wps you can use Operation modes (RZ04) and dynamic wp config.

I have done this config and exceeded 100 dia wps.

You can also test the config.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Yuksel,

I will try this option too.

Regards

Hari

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hari

Best way to add one or  more dialog instance  and create the log-on load balancing. Since it a single SAP system raise the support incident to SAP support.

BR

SS