Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Multiconnect AIX-->AS400 using XDA

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently working on a new internal request to establish a connection from our SAP Solution Manager 7.1 system on AIX to an external DB on iSeries (Version 5.4)

The AS400 team has confirmed there is not XDN Listener available on iSeries. So, after confirmation the QXDAEDRSQL service was started and active, the parameter dbs/db4/driver_type was set in Solman system to XDA (please see attachment) and a connection test was performed. Please check attached error.

I was not able to find libdb400.a library anywhere so far. Seems there is not an available XDA for UNIX environments (just for Win and Linux according to note

"751451 - iSeries - XDA Database client for Windows and LinuxPPC")

Could you please confirm if it’s possible to establish a connection from SAP on AIX to an external DB on iSeries using XDA? We’re aware that XDN will available by installing a SAP Host Agent, but we would prefer avoid this if XDA is supported on the above described scenario.

Reviewed notes:

• 146624 - IBM i - Database Multiconnect for IBM DB2 for i • 1431956 - DB4 - DBSLDirectDrive - XDN - Default on IBM i 7.1 and Win2K8R2

• 1460139 - DB4  - Multiconnect from AIX Application Servers to IBM i

• 751451 - iSeries - XDA Database client for Windows and LinuxPPC

Thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

XDA is not possbible from other platforms ;-(

=>

You NEED to use XDN !

=> your iSeries guys need to setup XDN on the iSeries - then it is pretty easy to setup ...

We did this for several customers already - works really fine 😉

Regards,

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut international ag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the huge delay in mine.

Is clear now we should go for the XDN. The question that arises now is the following. It
is my understanding that by installing an SAP Host Agent on iSeries the XDN
will be available. However, is there any other way to install or setup XDN?

Maybe it is a silly question but I'm not that familiar with iSeries.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Installing an SAP host agent is quite simple.

And this is always our recommendation for the customers if you want to install

XDN on an external AS400.

Best regards,

Daniel

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Daniel, thanks for your response.

Regards

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have already installed SAP Host Agent on AS400. Service is up and running. However XDN listener is not started automatically when SAP host agent is started.

Following the steps described in note "146624 - IBM i: Database Multiconnect for IBM DB2 for i" I´m not able to find any service runnign/listening on port 963:

• Server software XDN (DirectDrive):

Ensure that an XDN Listener job is active as follows:

o NETSTAT *CNN

o Function Key F14

o Function Key F13 (Sort by Local Port)

o Look for an entry in 'Listen' state for port 963 or AS4_HOST_PORT.

(Otherwise see "Server Software XDN" below.)

Could you please let me know how to start XDN manually and/or check what the issue could be?

It's necessary to set any parameter in host_profile file?

Your help is highly appreciated

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When SAP Host Agent starts, the XDN listener Server (XDNLISTEN) is started automatically.

SAP Host Agent is started when CALL R3SAP400/SAPINIT is issued or automatically at IPL

when the QUSRWRK sub system is activated.

So, please try to use R3SAP400/SAPINIT command to call it directly as a workaround.

Please also refer to sap note 1257635.

Regards, Daniel

SAP on IBM i Team

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel, thank for your response.

We've referred to sap note 1257635 and as indicated there and like you said "XDN listener" should be started automatically when SAP Host Agent is started. Considering the above mentioned, right after the installation we've looked for XDN but no luck. We tried then restarted the "sap host agent" with the following command "saphostexec -restart" but same result.

- All these tasks were performed under QSECOFR user. No password was assigned to the SAPADM user during the installation. Should we set a password for that user, then log in and  restart sap host agent? If so, what command should be used: "saphostexec -restart" or "CALL R3SAP400/SAPINIT"

That is not mentioned in note 1031096.

One thing it worth to mention is that not sapservices file has been created under /usr/sap. Is that ok?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm not that familiar with the AS400.

Thanks again. Regards

former_member189462
Participant
0 Kudos

After running "CALL R3SAP400/SAPINIT" XDN listener started.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Answers (0)