Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading HANA 6.6 to SPS 8.5?

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We're just about to upgrade our HANA System from 6.6 to 8.5.

Although in note 1948334 there is not a caution against this upgrade, but neither does it mention that it as a possible path.

I have found mention in another note that if we upgrade from a Revision prior to SPS 6, we should first upgrade to SPS 69.07 before upgrading to 85.

Has anyone done this type upgrade before, are there any video's and or tutorials tohelp us on our way?

Ken

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

When I right click on the system, and go to Properties -> Version History I see 1.00.66.382664. We put it in Oct 2013 so it is a little old.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ken,

Running the risk of getting "machine gunned" with this note and that note I'd honestly ask you to open a message with those lovely people you pay a generous license fee to.

I've looked through a variety of notes (no I haven't done 66 to any other revision) and I see where there could be a lack of clarity, hence your question.

Now, barrel loaded, safety off and extra clip to hand

1948334 - Only talks about revisions from 69 onwards so not much help to you.

2085810 - SP08 Rev 85 (85.04) mentions "Before you start the upgrade from Revision 64, 65 and 66, please check out SAP HotNews Note 1918267"

2021789 - Talks about the last revision for each SPS (69 is the last for SPS06).

Now if I decode all the above, for me it's looks like you can go from SPS06 (66) => SPS08 (85.04) once you have followed all the caveats of the infernal note pointing to a note chain. (smoking machine gun, safety back on and cooling down).

Now maybe the uber might chip in and spill out a response in nanoseconds. If not, AGS awaits your message and you can sleep safe.

KR,

Amerjit

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Amerjit

I like your idea of opening a note to SAP.

At the very least, you're confirming what I've seen so far as well (we already running the keepTransaction.py script in our systems).

And now the real question, am I going to be able to use the New Lifecycle Manager with the 66 version to get top the 85 version or do I have to run the command lines???

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

As of SPS06 it is recommended to use LCM (see note: 1836498). In addition to the note, Former Member Bouten over at happyhana.nl has knocked up a guide walking you through the steps you need to perform.

Be aware that through your updating journey you will also have to apply various updates to SLES. I'd check all the SLES updates you have to do and see if you can have them applied whilst you are still on SPS06 (compatibility/dependency to be checked).

NB: If you are running on a IBM/LENOVO machine then also be aware that you will have to apply GPFS updates.

Enjoy.

KR,

Amerjit

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hehehe... maybe I should start a SCN HANA Uber service and get rich

I am not the authority on this matter - so getting the official tick from SAP support is the right thing to do here.

However, my understanding of the process indicated in SAP notes 1948334, 1918267 and related is this:

With rev. 66 you could potentially get inconsistencies in your SAP HANA DB. To tackle this, there are the SAP notes 1919033 and 1919034.

To get to a safe starting point I'd recommend to upgrade to rev. 69.07 first.

Then farther to rev. 74.04 and once that done finally to 85.4.

I'd try to do this in one streak and only update the clients to the final rev. 85.4.

my 2 cts on this.

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd go along with that 2cts ....

HANA Uber service could be a flyer. Company Statement .... You're only a ride away from a Solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I believe it is 69.06.

Yes, it is possible to go from 69.06 to  SPS08 (85.05)

1948334 - SAP HANA Database Update Paths for Maintenance Revisions

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

mathanponnucham
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Ken,

What is 6.6?

Are you referring to 69.6?

Rgds,

Mat.