cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I search for multiple keywords/values?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm new to SAP and I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.  I'm trying to do a simple part search in SAP using two keywords, but I'm missing a step.  For example, let's say I want to search for "air pumps" and I want to only get results that contain both words.

In the search box, I enter *air* *pump* , but only a few of the pumps show up.  Looking at the description closely, I see if there are 2 spaces between air and pump, SAP's search doesn't find them.  If there is only one space, the part does show up in the search results.

Why does the number of spaces between words affect the search result?  If I'm using wild cards, shouldn't the system find all the results that contain the strings between the asterisks?  Is there a prefix/symbol I can use to tell SAP to ignore the number of spaces between words in a field?

Thank you,

Ali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this direct DB searches or are you using Trex searches?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I apologize, but I'm very new to SAP.  I have extensive computer experience, but this is the first time I'm using SAP.  Unfortunately we don't have an expert at work so I can't find out for sure.  I'll try to explain what I am trying to achieve and perhaps you can help me.

When I log on using SAP Logon 730, I choose "46. THM-XXX-ERP-PRD (P01) - ERP Production System."  One of my menus is labeled "Material Search Engine."  This is where I go when I need to find a particular part.

I can search for part by number or a single keyword and wildcards fine, but when I try to use 2 keywords and wild cards, the search only shows the parts that contain the keywords with a single space between them.  If there are 2 spaces between the keywords in the description field, SAP does not show them.

I tried to search online to see if there are any boolean operators I could use, but only found instances used in scripts.

If I enclose each keyword with asterisks with a space between the keywords, shouldn't the search find all the instances where both keywords are present in the description field?  I realize space is actually a character and is not null, but I've never used a database or search engine that treats spaces anything other than a delimiter.

Thank you,

Ali

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the transaction for Material Search Engine on your system 'MM03'?  MM03 is the method for master data teams to review information on materials.

If I'm in the same spot then you should see a square next to the input line for searching (F4 also does the same thing).  In the tab strip of the pop up window by default you are set to search the DB directly which limits what kind of searching can be done due to indexes (or lack there of).

If you have Trex (separate system via SID) you can set Trex to index the materials and providing you with various ways to search including boolean (not 100% how successful this is due to my company not having a great data consistency process) or multiple terms without the need for the *.  If you have Trex setup and you run esh_cockpit or ses_admin (both different ways to index, I suggest esh as it will be real time indexing vs ses which you have to schedule deltas).

Once indexes are created a new tab shows up in the original tab strip called 'Adv Search' and you can do more of a google search within the GUI.

If you don't have Trex look for 7.1 and go with the newest patch level.