cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDM file size is getting bigger and bigger after a few change...how to reduce it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One my model pdm was only ± 2,000 ko but after a few changes, it now ±58,000 ko.

I don't have some of the reported problem with the check-in / check-out.

My others models (alomost the same size) after modifications did not grow that way....

I didn't find something on the web or documentation about the way to reduce the size of that PDM file and I'am still searching.

I try to save as new and it done nothing.

I want to know if it can make problem in the future.

Thank

Bernard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bernard

It's possible for a 'few changes' to add considerable bulk to a model file, depending on what they are. For example, I have a PDM with 100 tables and 3800 references, and creating one new diagram with everything on it added 4.5 MB to the file. I then converted that diagram into a package, with shortcuts to everything in the model, and the file grew by another 3.5 MB. The file has grown from 19.5 MB to 27.3 MB; if I save it as a binary file instead of XML, it shrinks to 13.3 MB.

Mind you, I'd have to do a lot of changes like that to make it grow by 29x, so perhaps this is not the explanation.

I suggest you use compare or merge to produce a list of the differenceds between the current version of the model and an earlier version.

Oh, I did also use the Mapping Editor to create the default mappings between two copies of the model, to see how difference all those extra shortcuts made.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, that reply sent itself before I was ready . Here's the end of it again:

I suggest you use compare or merge to save a list of the differences between the current version of the model and an earlier version, then add that to your case in the support portal.

Oh, I did also use the Mapping Editor to create the default mappings between two copies of the model, to see how much difference all those extra shortcuts made - the target of the mappings increased in size by 50%, and the source grew slightly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Yes, going to compare versions of that model will certainly give more information about what could be the source / creation of the problem. I still learning Powedesigner and allways find new command that help a lot. I knew about the Mapping editor but didn't "test it" yet. Well, now I have good opportunity to test it

So I will use the compare/ merge / mappind editor and see.

I will come back with my finding.

thank and have a nice day.

Bernard

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How did you get on, Bernard?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Thank for your concern.

I must said that my work load has increased with other new projects and since the file size doesn't seem to create other problems, the priority was set to "low " for that situation.

But I can tell you that I will look into that because I want to know more, hopefully in the near future.

I will be happy to post news of my finding.

thank again.

Bernard