Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DUMP TRANSACTION is not possible on database

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm trying to take a transaction log dump using DBACockpit but the job I scheduled finished with error. In the Program Log, I found the following lines:

"starting job execution at 2015-05-19 08:30:24

(1 row affected)

Error: DUMP TRANSACTION is not possible on database."

Would you please suggest some possible causes for this error and the solution for them? I'm new to ASE so I don't know how to troubleshoot the error, I was able to take the backup of database successfully with DBACockpit. Our system has ASE version is 15.7.0.132 and ECC 6.0 EHP7.

I would be very grateful for any contribution to solve this issue.

Best regards,

Duy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Duy,

Please check your database log

D:\sybase\SID\ASE-16_0\install\SID.log

Also the timestamp of your error when you see this 2015-05-19 08:30:24 do you see any helpful additional information in st22/sm21?

In isql run the command:

use master

go

sp_config_dump

go

And list output here.

Possible reason for your error could be this:

SyBooks Online (Archive)

What do you get if you backup manually to your backup location example, just confirm your backup naming convention and location first and modify the below command appropriately.

dump database SID to "D:\Backup\backup.dmp" with compression = 2

go

Kind Regards,

Johan

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Duy,

Small correction as Nicolaas said, provide the below log file:

D:\sybase\SID\ASE-16_0\install\SID_BS.log

Also provide the script/stratement which you used to dump the database, also provide me the database details to check if any parameter is set from isql

1>sp_helpdb <DB_Name>

2>go

Regards

Kiran K Adahrapuram

Duy_Le_-_Islet_
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I turned off trunc log on chkpt option and the transaction log can be dumped with DBACockpit now.

Best regards,

Duy

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

As there are already two threads for same question, it is good to remind for future readers, that in a Business Suite context, this option *must* be turned off in the <SID>.

To avoid such of issue, please remind this must be the first note to read carefully when you configure ASE in a Business Suite context:

SAP Note  1749935  - SYB: Configuration Guide for SAP ASE 15.7            

Or this one for the v.16.0:                          1581695  - SYB: Configuration Guide for SAP ASE 16.0

Regards,

Cris

Answers (0)