cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would be the future SAP UI technology?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friends,

I am on the SAP world since some weeks and I still don´t have clear SAP politic about UI. Fiori seems to be quite promising delivery processes on multiple devices and on the cloud but the user interfaces that one can build seems to be quite simple and not adequate enought for complex processes. I think one thing is to be able to be cool and another to be productive.

So if Fiori cannot deliver productive and complex interfaces what would be the interface technology for more complex screens where the user have something more to do that press some buttons on SAP S/4 HANA? Would be still Web Dynpro?

Thanks for the comments

Pedro Rodriguez

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

Firstly, please don't confuse Fiori with the underlying UI technology that it is built on.  Fiori is a number of things (a suite of applications, a design approach & philosophy, a way of thinking, etc.) but it isn't a UI technology.

Fiori applications are built using the SAPUI5 / OpenUI5 technology and follow a particular design approach and philosophy to give a consistency across applications and devices.  These applications from SAP are typically built using UI5 components that are optimised for multi-platform use and have simplicity as a desired feature.  That doesn't mean you cannot create complex solutions with UI5 though.  There are lots of applications built using the UI5 technology that don't fall into the Fiori or "Fiori-like" bucket.

The UI5 kit contains a lot of components that sit outside of the core sap.m (originally short for mobile but now adjusted to be main, I think) that could be used to build a more complex (i.e. similar to older GUI transactions) application.

If you want to see an example of UI5 being used to deliver a complex application, take a look at the WebIDE tool available either on HCP or as a standalone install - I'm about 99% sure the WebIDE itself is built using UI5 technology and is an amazing example of a complex solution.

Generally, SAP's UX strategy is aligned to Fiori and this is built using the UI5 technology.

Hope this helps.

Gareth.

Vasilis
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

in case you didn't know it there is dedicated site from SAP for called SAP UX Explorer.

https://uxexplorer.hana.ondemand.com

Maybe you can find the information you need in section "Get Answers"

Best Regards,

Vasilis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vasilis,

Thanks! That was quite helpful. I found there a link with the actual Fiori Apps with lot of screens. Some of then looks better than I thought:

https://fioriappslibrary.hana.ondemand.com/sap/fix/externalViewer/#/detailInfo

Best Regards

Pedro