cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Upgrade_adding more disk drive on 570

Former Member
0 Kudos

We 're planning to add more disk drive on 1 of the partition of 570 box, other than the full system save will be done for all LPAR before the event(on that box), is there anything else we shoud do before/after as far as for SAP? such as DLTSQLPKG?

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Teresa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just curious. Are you adding new disk units which are the same size as the existing ones ? If so, fine. If not, be aware that having too few "large" disk units among smaller ones (like adding 370GB units with existing 1035GB units) can cause disk performance "hot spot" on the few large units if you do not have high performance disk controller (like 2757, 2780, 5580, or the new 1.5GB ones announced in Feb 2007) in place. The large write-cache in the high performance disk controller card can help alleviate the hot-spot effect to some degree (depending on how high the read+write operations/sec at peak period is).

Satid S.

IBM Thailand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

If the option to add the disk on the fly is available and you do not have to insert extra cards or a disk cage. My suggestion is to use iSeries Navigator because it is brilliant. First you need to execute the following command to enable iNav DST access, it might be already in place. This can be checked by running the NETSTAT option 3 and check if the port is already in the list.

ADDSRVTBLE SERVICE('as-sts') PORT(3000) PROTOCOL('tcp')

TEXT('Service Tools Server') ALIAS('AS-STS')

Unfortunately after this command you need to restart TCP/IP which in most cases means an extra IPL.

After that is all in place a Wizard in iNav which can be found under Configuration and Service -> Hardware -> Disk Units. With the help function within iNav I am sure you are able to find the answer to the question how to do this.

The wizard will help in placing the disk add them to a raid set and even will help you in the load balancing. Cool !!

Kind regards, Rudi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa,

If you are on V5R4, you do not need to bring down the system or do a system save before you do that. You can add disks "on the Fly" in V5R4, is what my hardware guy told me...When we added DASD, we did not have to bring down the system or anything...It was cool..

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Abhi

It's good to know that, but currently we are still on V5R3.

Teresa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Terasa,

After the disks being added to the ASP, it would benefit to redistribute the data with STRASPBAL TYPE(*CAPACITY) ASP(1) before starting SAP.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Victor

Definitely I will add this to my TO DO list.