cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign new attribute as key for master data type

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I assign a newly created attribute to an existing master data type, and mark it as a key, the master data type activation fails with an error message.

For clarity, I created a new attribute "SHIPTOPARTY", and assigned it as a key to CUSTOMER, in addition to CUSTID.

Here's the error message I get: "For Master Data Type CUSTOMER, new attribute SHIPTOPARTY cannot be part of a key combination".

Is there something I'm missing to use it so?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

parveen_kumar6
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Shuchita

If you already data in the MDT, then system will not allow to change the key.This is not possible at the database level as it will violate the primary key constraint. Can you delete the data and then try changing the key?

Once the key is updated, then you can re-load the data into MDT.

Thanks

Parveen Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Parveen.

I hadn't loaded any data for the MDT. I managed to get past it though - the key assignment worked when I attempted it without activating the MDT at all. Once the master data tables are formed on activation, adding a key would mean editing the structure - so it makes sense that it didn't allow that.

However, there was a newer issue. This key of CUSTID + SHIPTO flows down to a compound MDT (such as Customer Source) as well. However, SHIPTO stays inactive in the compound MDT even after activating the MDT and PA. Any suggestions on why this might be?

parveen_kumar6
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Shuchita

What is the status of the SHIPTOPARTY in the customer MDT? Can you please show the Customer MDT as well?

Thanks

Parveen Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shuchita,

Is it possible to maintain ship_to as your key in the existing Customer attributes?

Example: CUSTID - populate ship_to ID

For Sold_to, you can add an attribute and maintain their ID and Description which will not be marked as Key.

In this way customer product and customer source MDT can be kept simple.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Aditya G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

You are right - From a design perspective, we would ultimately aim to simplify. I was, for now, testing the options we could have. Thanks though!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's SHIPTOPARTY in Customer - marked active.