cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

Encountering issue below at the very initial phase in NW 7.4 system installation.
Anyone has idea on what's the issue is?

I checked environment PATH, it's not empty.

<html> <head> </head> <body> <p> An error occurred while processing option <i>SAP NetWeaver 7.4 Support Release 2 > SAP HANA Database > SAP Systems > Application Server ABAP > Standard System > Standard System( Last error reported by the step: invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({})))</i>. You can now: </p> <ul> <li> Choose <i>
Retry</i><br>to repeat the current step. </li> <li> Choose <i>Log Files</i><br>to get more information about the error. </li> <li> Stop the option and continue later. </li> </ul> <p> Log files are written to /usr/sap/trans/temp/sapinst_instdir/NW740SR2/HDB/INSTALL/STD/ABAP. </p> </body></html>

ERROR      2015-05-14 11:33:10.612 (root/sapinst) [CSiStepExecute.cpp:1187] id=controller.stepExecuted errno=FCO-00011

The step createSystemDirectories with step key |NW_ABAP_OneHost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|onehost|0|NW_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|system|0|createSystemDirectories was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}))).

ERROR      2015-05-14 11:33:10.449 (root/sapsys) [iaxxbjsmod.cpp:105] id=modlib.jslib.caughtException errno=MUT-03025

Caught ESAPinstJSError in module call: PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}).

ERROR      2015-05-14 11:33:10.448 (root/sapsys) [iaxxbjsmod.cpp:105] id=PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({})

invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}))

# env | grep PATH

MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man

XNLSPATH=/usr/share/X11/nls

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin

INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

have a look at default login shell of <sid>adm user and check it's /bin/csh.

If it's already so, install Hana client (running hdbsetup) and try again with Sapinst.

Regards,

Robert.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

janlars_goedtke
Active Participant
0 Kudos

FYI: Same Problem on Installation with DB2/AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Did someone find solution to this issue? I am facing same issue when installing app server for BW powered by HANA.

ERROR 2015-07-15 07:45:00.600 (root/sapsys) id=PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({})

invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}))

ERROR 2015-07-15 07:45:00.601 (root/sapsys) id=modlib.jslib.caughtException errno=MUT-03025

Caught ESAPinstJSError in module call: PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}).

INFO 2015-07-15 07:45:00.649 (root/sapinst)

Effective group id set to 826.

ERROR 2015-07-15 07:45:00.694 (root/sapinst) id=controller.stepExecuted errno=FCO-00011

The step createSystemDirectories with step key |NW_DI|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|system|0|createSystemDirectories was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties({}))).

Thanks,
Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

pls check that <sid>adm user has /bin/csh as default shell (check in /etc/passwd file).

Regards,

Robert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

thank you for the reply. we installed the hana client and then we were able to continue with the installation without issues.

thanks,
Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

I can confirm, that the Installation continued after installing the hdbclient manually. We had the same issue during an Installation of NW 7.4 SR2.

could you please set the discussion to "answered" if the problem is solved?

Regards,

Carsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

Unfortunately I cannot close this thread as I am not the owner. probably moderators can close it.

thanks,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Henny...

Probably, Can you access DBMS user (ex, nwaadm) by switch user from root user??

I also experienced the same error like you.(PATH is not defined ~~~) when I installed Netweaver 7.4 SP5 on HANA.

I overcame this error to annotate IF-clause in .PROFILE of nwaadm.

I hope it would be help you.

BR

Hee Sang Lee

0 Kudos

Dear Sir

I am facing same below error when I am going to export Oracle DB using SWPM tool.

invalid message ID (PATH is not defined or have an empty value in environment : Properties)

Please let me know how to annotate IF-clause in .PROFILE of <sid>adm.

Regards

Manas Nandi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the exact same issue/error and am not using Hana at all, trying to install as MaxDB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Can you check your sapinst_dev.log if you get any error related to hdb client ?  coz we had similar issue and we fixed it today.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Please share the installation logs.

The problem here is that you need to append the env var PATH with a location which will be suggested when we can read the logs -  it could be a JAVA env path or something related to OS.

Are all file systems mounted ?

Please share the logs once.

Regards,