SAP document management system (DMS) to store compiled software

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kjell,

I think, there will not be much experience because Software will usually be stored in software repositories like SVN and similar.

But DMS will store single files (or ZIPed groups of files) very well as Samuli describes.

So I think I depends on your requirements:

If you want to save compilats of software for code review, code history, banching, merging and code mangement I recommend to use a Software reporitory, not SAP DMS.

If you want to use DMS like an archive in combination with production processes and the document information record (which comtains the software product) is used as PRT with a release strategy, like a drawing, then it makes sense to use SAP for storing this. Then you can also to some automatically processes to checkout the Software while production of e.g. the according hardware.

This might be interessting, especially if you have special quality requirements like FDA Registration or similar.

Regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Marcus and thanks, I have been on vacation, that's why this late replay.  I'm new to this so I will ask you more in details.

This is the Project outcomes, can we cover this using SAP/DMS?  Also, is there any new features in SAP/DMS for version and release control?  If you do not see that we can cover this, why?

• Use SAP-Mandatory
    document management system (DMS) to store compiled software and provide
    compliance with security governance model.
  • A single
    source storage of rig software: compiled, executable and runtime parameter
    files
  • A system
    for the logistics/transfer of data .
  • Improved
    procedures and processes (change management and automatic workflows) for
    software handling
  • Training
    material
  • Data
    migration and removal of duplicate systems for storage of rig software.   
markus_deuter
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kjell,

sorry, I never heard about project outcomes so I cannot check if you can solve your requirements by SAP DMS.

To control versions and revisions (of applications or sourcecode) this is a question on the definitions of both.What is a Version, what is a Revision ?

In SAP DMS you can store multiple files in a object, called document Information record (DIR).

Example:

DIRs are stored with following key (seen on the header of the picture):

Document type, e.g. ID2 = Information document

Document (number), e.g. 10000000000000005326

Document part, e.g. NOT = note

Document Version, e.g. 00...99

The handling is depending on the SAP customizing and usage of enhancements.

So you can use document version for a sourcecode or application version.

Note, that the 3 attached files (ZIP, TXT, PDF) are stored within the same version of DIR.

On the tab page "additional data" you can define your own data fields to classify the DIR.
This is also called SAP classification system.

Example:

By this classification function you can handle code revisions by implementing a new characteristic "Revision".

On DMS search you can use all these data fields for a document search.

Each DIR version is stored seperatly in parallel to other Versions of the same document number and will have ist own document Status (released, obsolete, in work, ...).

To provide compliance this should be possible by SAP customizing but this depents on your requirements of the project. But SAP DMS is running in different Business scenarios of medical health care, pharmaceutical industrie and others. So this should be possible to solve.

Change management is possible if you combine SAP DMS and SAP change management (CM request, CM order, CM number, ...) and with SAP business workflow as well. But the SAP workflow engine is a very heavy tool to handle.

To combine several documents (test docs, specs, ..) to the application DIR you can use the feature of object links, where you can link several documents together.

Example:

So this was just a shot concept how to handle application, code, documents and many more with SAP DMS. Have fun ...

Regards,

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kjell,

if I understood your question right, than you are talking about storing exe files in DMS right?

I'm generally you can add any file format to a document info record and check it into a storage category. Therefore you only have to maintain a suitable workstation application in transaction DC30.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

I concur. We are storing binary files such as ZIP files and even files having a custom binary format in DMS without any issues.