cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party ordering and serial number management

michele_williams
Participant
0 Kudos

We are entering into an arrangement where we will be processing pass-through transactions between a customer and a contract manufacturer. Third party ordering works nicely for this purpose. The transactions will be for a very large number of goods at once (e.g. 10,000+). My question relates to managing the serial numbers of these "batches" of units. My ultimate goal is to be able to track which serial numbers were delivered to the customer at which time.

(My question may be complicated by the fact that I will be paying my supplier (contract manufacturer) on an invoicing plan, e.g. 30% at order, 70% at shipment. Because the supplier invoicing is not necessarily predicated on goods movement, I may wish to NOT require GR in the process.)

But ignoring that for the time being, I have tested a process whereby I create a large group of serial numbers using IQ04 (AVBL status). Then if I perform a GR using MIGO, I can search for available serial numbers (using IQ09), select them and assign them into my GR transaction (making them ESTO status). But the goods will never come to my plant; instead they will be drop shipped to the end customer. Ultimately I want to show this equipment as being at the customer (ECUS) status, but since it is a third party order, there will be no customer delivery note with which to change to that status.

Please advise regarding best practice for dealing with large numbers of equipment/serial numbers in third party ordering process.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Per OSS note  412611 - Third-party order processing with serial numbers

the serial numbers for the third party process needs to be maintained manually only.

If vendor sends the  serial number details, then you may automate the process by updating t.code IQ02.

Regards,

michele_williams
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply, but this is a very old note and I think that the solution I have described (creating SN using IQ04 and assigning them using MIGO) is far better than one-by-one updates using IQ02.

My remaining concern is that in spite of being assigned to a transaction, all of the equipment remains at system status ESTO. I do not see a way to mass-change this status.