cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EAServer/PowerBuilder on AIX and Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running EAServer 4.2 on AIX 7 with PowerBuilder 9 and Oracle 9. To connect to Oracle 9 we use the Database Driver Type OCI_9 and an Oracle 9 Client installation. Now our Client wants to update to Oracle 11.

Anybody knows if there is a way to connect EAServer 4.2 and PowerBuilder 9 to an Oracle 11 Server using an Oracle 11 Client ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no point in upgrading the Oracle Client, I believe that an Oracle 9 client will connect to an Oracle 11 database. The key issue here is that you need to match the database layer client to the application client and not the database server.

So the question is, why does your client want to upgrade the client? By all means upgrade the database but use an appropriate client to connect. Failing that you will need to upgrade your EAServer and Powerbuilder.

Regards

David Peace

Powersoft Computer Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do absolutely agree with this.

The client wants to update because Oracle does not support Oracle 9 anymore - simply as that. And a client is always right, isn't he?

(I wish SAP would treat the PowerBuilder Community like that)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Indeed, but they can upgrade to Oracle 11 database and get support regardless of them using Oracle 9 client on one part of the application.

None the less, you can give them the options, as I said that alternative is to upgrade EAServer to a supported platform too.

Regards

David