cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary Memory Vs Secondary Memory Choosing Issue ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP HANA Experts,

I just want to know how to choose the RAM Size & Hard disk size for the SAP HANA Database ????

Example:-

Let us think that my company is running on Oracle 11 g database with 300 GB as a database size.

So we want to migrate from Oracle to HANA Database as part of the project

As HANA Supports the compression ratio feature 1:5, so we can reduce the Original database size to 60 GB in HANA Database.

Now how much RAM we need to choose for the SAP HANA Server including the future data growth keeping in mind

& How much Secondary Memory we need to choose for this database size including the future data growth keeping in mind........

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is plenty of content around SAP HANA sizing available on SCN so I would advise you to use the search option first and put some effort into trying to read / listen through available content before asking a question that has little added value on top of what is already available.

Using "SAP HANA sizing" in Google gets you another list of sources that can be useful.

Using "SAP HANA Academy Sizing" in YouTube provides you with videos on the topic on how to go about sizing

Please go read and view these and come back with more detailed question(s).

It's nice you try to help this person but there is more that should be taken into consideration when it comes to sizing. Is the solution scalable (scale-up preferably), what is the growth like? 15% over X years or 30% over X years or ... is the original database using compression yes or no, what application runs on top of this Oracle database, ... without more, decent information, there isn't really a proper answer that can be provided. But like I mentioned before, it would nice if the person in question first puts some efforts into reading / listening through available content

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aggreed... After studying N number of Notes and running few sizing reports,  I came to know the below

HANA will be having a minimum compression ratio of 1:4 ( May be more)

Hence, RAM will existing Hardsik size/4

Data Disk size = RAM*3

Log Disk size= RAM*1

Trace Disk size=RAM*1

Since, he has asked this question.. Expecting that he is planning for BW on HANA migration from oracle.

Regards,

Pavan Gunda

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your case you can use 125 GB RAM and

125*3=375GB --> Data Disk

125*1=125GB --> Log Disk

125*1=125GB --> Trace Disk

Regards,

Pavan Gunda