Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

How to start depreciation on the month of the shift

maybe it is a very simple question, but I'm struggling on the following topic:

I need to shift the value from a not depreciated asset (AUC) to another asset to be created (Final asset, with monthly depreciation).

The AUC itself receive a posting from a GL account with values with a posting date = end of the month (let's use April the 30th).

So as far as I'm understood, the asset value date MUST be at least the same or even posticipate = end of the month (still April the 30th) - please confirm.

Now, even if I'm manually changing the "capitalized on" date and the "depreciation start" date to the beginning of the month after the posting (example: capitalization date 31st of March and Dep. Start date = 1st April) the asset will NOT post on April and calculate this month of depreciation splitted on all the rests of the year.

I really don't understand if this behaviour is due to the depreciation key or not, what I'm searching for is to obbly the asset to post on the 30th of April the first month of the depreciation.

Did someone know how to do it?

Hi Giovanni,

The depreciation start date is determined by the period control in the depreciation key assigned in the fixed asset. See in customizing transaction OAVS (Maintain Period Control) what options you have.

So if your AuC has a value received on last day of the period, and you transfer on same day, then the depreciation start date depends on the setting in the depreciation key taking into account the period control in the assigned period control method (in AFAMA).

For example 01 is 'Pro rata at period start date'. So if that is transferred on last day of the period (30 April), the start date should be also at start of period, in your example 01 April.

Maybe also look into the option of field 'Transfer adopting dep. start date' in the transaction type customizing and which is used in the transfer from AuC to FXA.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question