Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev - DB-Copy - how to hold Versions?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

as our dev-system is already very old and there are a lot of developments which never reached the productive system, we did copy the prod system to dev system using SWPM.

This is causing, that also all workbench customizing versions are gone.

Therfore I found note 130906.

But what is that exactly doing?

- Exporting/Importing coding or just the version-header data?

I mean, the perfect targeet would be.

Keeping all versions in versionmanagement in DEV-System but having all versions active from productie system.

Is that possible?

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor

So, 1st a big Thx to everybody for Input.

Here is the result and procedure we did - and outcome did bring my heartbeat cooling down

1. we did export versions according to note 130906.

2. we made the system-copy from productive system to development system

3. we did import versions according to note 130906.

OUTCOME = ALL VERSIONS ARE BACK IN DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM

I already had the idea regarding that before, beacause.

It is right, that  the export/import just includes the header-data. And this data is including the cluster-area. And I already thought that the cluster will be the same in each system.

So also if you don't see a version-db in productive system, all versions seems to be there.

fyi, all transport requests have to be released for sure in dev-system otherwise the are gone.

And all transports which are not in source-system are also gone - for sure

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is indeed interesting, thank you for sharing your experience, I have bookmarked this thread.

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, I say thanks to you, without your help I wouldn't reach that step

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

What you are asking is interesting, in fact I am glad to have found the note you mentioned, we have similar problems and would like to pragmatically address key issues in our Development system.

Essentially the note says that before system copy you need to export out version details of dev, then copy over production to dev (homogenous system copy) and then restore back version history of dev back, however the active version in the repository will that be of production.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3448428

Someone earlier had the same query you had and has posted a response from SAP (potentially a reply from OSS).

You might want to experiment with this on sandbox to ensure you get a development system that has version history and yet its active version is that of Production.

I must add that there is no solution for Customizing data and you will struggle with that, even if you retain version history of workbench requests.

Further, if you are doing this for a potential upgrade, I suggest you use CDMC tool in Solution Manager to perform Upgrade Analysis and Clearing Analysis to ensure you can measure what your effort on upgrade. There are many blogs on SCN describing how you can do this.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is there any possibility to keep all customizing and workbench versions in Development system?

Kind regards

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do not copy from Prod to Dev   [ by restore ]

Dont see any purpose of you copying from PROD to DEV when you want TO RETAIN both the customizing and workbench  .

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know what you mean...but we already have a lot of differences in dev system to productive system, as a lot of changes never reached the live system.

Therefore my wish would be, to keep all versions in development system but setting all versions from productive system to active.

The reason is, that we have a new project which has to ensure a clean environment.

Kind regards

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian ,

Believe you can take care of client specific customizing  by creating a new client in DEV and copying client specific cust form PROD  [ or better Refreshed QAS ]into this new client . Investigate the  vaious  client copy profiles available and choose one which suits your purpose .

This new client in DEV can be used for further development  .

As for the cross client customizations  dont see any option [ As you want to retain old in DEV ]

Thanks ,

Manu

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes...and all the workbench/coding thing I also don't see a option.
So I think we go on with copy process and maybe storing an old version of dev-system.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would suggest you that you should do a cleansing of your development client and as Manu suggested get a client copy from production and do a refresh over refresh using correct profile in this new client.

Just for eg,

Copy from P to D using SAP_ALL in a new client/

now on this new client copy SAP_CUST from old D client on this new client.

Like wise, cleansing can be done.

Regards,

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes .

Use the Note 130906 in case you are restoring from PROD to DEV and save the version history .

Havent seen any issue with this type of restore during upgrade yet  [ i am no expert in this ] , have recommended clients not to do this but   some doesnt follow the  change management process and end up like this

Thanks ,

Manu

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian ,

As far as i know it will just save the version -header data of the DEV system ( when you perform as detailed in 130906  BUT  the version details of PROD will be lost in DEV  ) .

Code an Config in DEV  remains the same as in production  .

Better release all the TR's from DEV before  doing a copy from Prod to DEV

Thanks ,

Manu

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christain,

Please check with the ABAP team or forum.

The DB copy itself replicates the production.

What you did is not a cleansing process. However, the steps of post-processing does take care of objects. For eg, SE06 has this option to reset to originals and BDLS to take care of logical systems.

Regards,

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But SE06 also does not keep the versions, right?