cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP application server halting in netweaver 7.40 due to old long session

0 Kudos

Hi Team ,

We are running SAP BW on HANA . Our kernel is 741 p113 . We are seeing very long running sessions  in SM04 . and for last two days we have got situation where system was halted for around 45 mins. Dpmon shows only 8 dia work process being occupied but sarfc tcode was showing as few work process available . In session table from dpmon shows those old session keys are still available and not going away .

the long running sessions in SM04 is all type rfc, gui , sync_rfc , async_rfc

we have 40 dia process and at max 36 can be allocated to RFC .

can someone suggest if this is an issue with kernel .

Attaching the dev_disp .

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hello All ,

Thanks for your help . We had restarted our application server and now it seems to be good .

Thank you again .

Bhushan Chandle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bhushan,

1. Can you better qualify what you mean by "system was halted for 45 minutes".

System was hanging ?

No one could logon ?

2. Please post a screen shot of your SM04 long running sessions.

3. Kernel 741 has been replaced with DCK 742. See note #1969546 + #2128122.

4. When you say "halted" did you also check on the HANA side to see what was going on there ?

5. Information on your HANA revision and BW version (no doubt 7.4) + sp level would help

KR,

Amerjit

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

You are facing a performance issue due to resource crunch.

Run the transaction SARFC and if you receive the message too few free dialog work process

Then you have set two parameters on the bw side.

1. rdisp/rfc_max_queue  (default value is 5 ) you can change this value to 20 or 30.

Its a dynamic change parameter so you can change this parameter in  rz11.

2. rdisp/rfc_min_wait_dia_wp is not a dyanmic parameter. So to change the parameter dynamically

- Run the transaction SARFC

- Double click on the server name and change the value of Minimum Number of Free WPs and make it 1 or 2.

If you have a multiple dialog instances , then you have to perform the same activity on all the servers.

Also do let us know the value of rdisp/rfc_min_wait_dia_wp.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

0 Kudos

Thanks for the Reply Ashutosh . As its a production system ,  I won't be able to change the parameters .  I checked the parameter rdisp/rfc_max_queue and its 5%. The rdisp/elem_per_queue is set to 2000 which will be multiplied by 7 (diffrent type of request) and if i make 5 % of elem_per_queue it wll come around 700 . that is again a good number .

rdisp/rfc_min_wait_dia_wp is set to 4 .

but why am i seeing so many old sessions in SM04 . I checked the portal connection to backend setting and all the parameter are set to some values (none set to never expire ) . Also session table shows so many old sessions .

Thank you

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Are you facing the above issue , during a data load on BW side?

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi