cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI - Configure Transport for Java Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I try to set up the NWDI for our java portal and CE systems. As far as I can recall the following things have been done in the past (I am relatively new in my company):

-    NWDI had been installed

-    Tracks have already been created and can be used in NWDS

(therefore SLD Components and dependencies have been created / configured)

If I want to use the NWDI to deploy to out portal systems, I need to set up some kind of transport mechanism.

Thus far I read a lot of NWDI starting guides, but I am unable to exactly point the step I need to do next on my route to enable the transport mechanism.

I am currently trying to enable the transports for SAP NW 7.4 portals, so I should be using the CM Services instead of the CMS.

When I open the CM Services link on NWDI start page, I see there are no Development Configurations of Type CTS System configured.

Now I have a problem understanding the term development configuration, because I am already able to import development configurations in NWDS (the already defined tracks).

Could you please tell me the difference between those two?

Is it different Transport Mechanisms they belong to or what part did I miss?

Can you suggest further steps to enable the automatic transport / deployment on our portal systems?

Best regards,

André

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi André,

By configuring the Runtime Systems in CMS - Landscape Configurator -> Track Data -> Runtime Systems, basically you are configuring the transport mechanism you are talking about. When you activate/release in NWDS this "path" is followed under the hood.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter, thank you for your quick reply.

Then I assume the transport system has been set up, because the necessary systems have been defined. Now the big question is: why are my components not being deployed on the dev portal?

I did the following: create a lib dc and an ear file to encapsulate the lib dc.

After setting the properties up I checked the activities in and activated them. After that i released them in transport view.

As I can see there is a modification available in the consolidation tab. I imported that.

Now i assume the new SC should be deployed on the portal system, but I can not see it in the deployment view (I refreshed the view several times).

Default trace does not show any errors with keyword "deploy".

What am I missing?

Best regards,

André

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello André,

This is the development process in NWDI. We need to determine where the problem can be. First of all please make sure that the connection is OK to the runtime systems. Please go to Landscape Configurator -> Runtime systems and click on the little square button in the bottom right corner of each Runtime System window. They should be expanded as soon as you click on them.

Then go to the Transport studio -> Consodilation tab and select the activity -> click on the Details button to check the status. You can also click on the view logs tab and check what the logs show. The troubleshooting guide on our wiki page may be useful for you to investigate this based on what you see here.

Best Regards,

Peter Tari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter, thanks again for your advice.

after checking the Import History in NWDI, I was not able to find any of my developed SC´s.

So I can´t provide logs. The Following Information are provided in the Deployment Substitution Variables  For my Dev system (lets start with this at first):

Var-name: com.sap.portal.deploy.pcdcontent

entry: /usr/sap/**1/J00/j2ee/cluster/server0/persistent/tc~epbc~prtc~core/deployment/pcdContent

I Checked the deployment user and I am able to deploy something directly from NWDS with it, so it seems to be ok.

But I found another thing: After clickin on the deployment button (we are running NWDI on a 7.2 release) there were logs of some components I developed. After clicking The button for restart failed deployments, I had a look into the corresponding log, that shows:

20150512101950 Fatal  :error during deployment

20150512101950 Fatal  :caused by Exception:com.sap.cms.tcs.beans.exception.TCSDeployException_Communication: error during deployment: An error occurred while transporting the specified archives via the Deploy Controller API to the SAP Application Server Java.:error during deployment: An error occurred while transporting the specified archives via the Deploy Controller API to the SAP Application Server Java.

com.sap.cms.tcs.beans.exception.TCSDeployException_Communication: error during deployment: An error occurred while transporting the specified archives via the Deploy Controller API to the SAP Application Server Java.

at com.sap.cms.tcs.beans.deployer.DeployConnector.deployArchives(DeployConnector.java:670)

The System I want to deploy to is a NW 7.4 system. Are there any issues (in sense of upward compatibility) between a 7.2 NWDI and a 7.4 NW Portal?

Best regards,

André

EDIT: Ok I think I got the point: It seems the system has not been set up for deployment properly. I saw in another SDN entry, that there should be plenty more Deployment Substitution Variables. As I understand those should be read from the defined system and not inserted by me, am I correct?

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello André,

Earlier you asked about Development Configurations, so you might find this an interesting read.

Please check the runtime system configuration for all systems by expanding the parameters: link. If you see a variable here, it means it is OK. (You will only see more if you have 7.0 NWDI)

If it is totally empty, the connection is cannot be established so you will have a problem.

The version of the NWDI is irrelevant in this case. You can have a 7.2 NWDI and can develop 7.4 apps. But this blog summerizes it nicely. And this blog will be useful when we try to understand the error you copied.

It was dropped by the TCS, so we should check the TCS logs if they provide more information:

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/TCS/LOG/*

(and maybe the /usr/sap/<SID>/j2ee/cluster/serverX/log/defaultTrace.X.trc)

It is possible that there is a version mismatch in the build plugins and that is the reason of the deployment failure. Please check the blog again and see where the version matters: The NWDS must be on release 7.3 for example, the track configuration must be on the same 7.3 and the runtime systems have to have the corresponding build plugins imported (7.3). What's more, the SPS level must be also consistent for a given track -> and in the runtime systems. So if you configure a track to use 7.31 SPS8 you must check-in and import the corresponding SCAs in the development system tab.

Note: The "direct" deployment from NWDS is not using NWDI but it is using the AS Java server that you configure in the Prefences. If you use NWDI, you check-out, activate and release and that is how the delpoyment will be done. By the release in NWDS you will see your activity in the CMS, where you have to do an import. By the import in CMS the deployment will be triggered.

Best Regards,

Peter

Answers (0)