Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UWL double click setting status as Reserved

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue in UWL operations, where if the user double clicks on work item in UWL that paticular work item status is set to Reserved and going out from other user inbox. But working ok with single click.

Can any body suggest why this problem and how to solve.

Thanks and regards,

Soumya.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Again,

For this issue I tried solving by implementing a method in the 'Methods' tab in activity step within box 'Mthod after workitem execution' . In that method I am checking the table SWWWIHEAD for that particular WI for the WI_STAT field .

If that field ststus is SELECTED I am changing to Ready mode again in this method.

This process I followed bcaz I thought that method will be called everytime this workitem is opened', and if in case workitem status is set to SELECTED again it will revert back to READY status.

But this method doesn't seem to be called when we are opening the workitem in UWL in new tab and closing it by closing the tab cros sign.

Will this process helpful in my issue, you peoples suggestions....

Thanks and regards,

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

For me your solution does not sound the best possible approach, especially if it doesn't work in UWL.

Unfortunately I cannot say what would be a "correct" fix for the problem, because I don't understand what is causing it at the first place. And based on your previous answer it sounds like you don't know how to reproduce the error either, so if I was you I would be very careful implementing some fix if you cannot even test whether it helps or not.

Regards,

Karri

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi karri,

For reproducing error I was manually assigning the WI to myself by the Right click on WI->Assign to me option. Then closing the tab thinking my method will execute and set WI status again to READY.

But things didn't go that way.

Below is the sample code I have used.

SELECT SINGLE * FROM SWWWIHEAD

CLIENT SPECIFIED

INTO LW_STAT

WHERE WI_ID = ID.

IF LW_STAT-WI_STAT = 'SELECTED'.

LW_STAT-WI_STAT = 'READY'.

MODIFY SWWWIHEAD FROM LW_STAT.

ENDIF.

And above as Sandy has mentioned about note to be implemented, but status as above screen-shot shows 'can't be impleted'. What to do aabout it?

Thanks,

Soumya.'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

About the note. You could ask Basis expert to look why it cannot be implemented. But actually I think it is not relevant, because the note says that it only works in business workplace, so most likely it will not make any difference for your situation.

I would also recommend not to do direct manipulations to the SAP standard tables. If you really want to change the status of the work item, see the SAP_WAPI* functions. I think there should be one to change the status (or "replace" the work item). Then at least you are doing things in the "standard" way.

Regards,

Karri

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karri,

Is there any other way you can suggest.

If that note can be implemented it might work as it esets the status and if it reflects in SBWP so will also reflect in UWL. Because both cases status is checked from data base only.

Guide me some way.

Thanks,

Soumya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to find the details of the cases that the user(s) has reported? Does this happen for certain task/application? Or does it happen randomly for all tasks?

Can you find the work items in the system for which this happened? If yes, then you should open the workflow log and see the activities for the work item, and see the time stamps (does it look like the user has changed the status by himself manually etc.).

Kind regards,

Karri

SandySingh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first validate if this is really an issue. Try to unreserved the work item via the application or try programming event with correct event. Instead of changing sap standard tables, use the WAPI function modules. Try WAPI*put*back function module .

regards

sandy

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

Previous solution by 'Methods' tab I was trying didn't workout. The method didn't get executed when from portal I put status as reservedmanually->then open the WI->and closed it. I ststus remain unchanged. I kept a infinite loop in dat method to check if it gets executed or not. IN SM50 it didn't stop der.

So now I am looking for program exits try. But the poblem I am facing is, just for say user has opened the WI, it got reserved status, then he closes the screen by closing the tab since every time any WI is opened, it opens in a new tab. So my question is on closing tab weather my 'program exit' or 'methods tab' code will trigger or not??

Thanks,

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Changing the status of work item in a programming exit is not a recommended approach from my point of view.

You need to find out what the user is doing. You need to be able to reproduce the problem, and then you can find a solution. If the user cannot produce the error again (or explain how to produce the error), then the problem does NOT exist. I would not do any fundamental changes to the workflow(s) based on this level of detail.

>So my question is on closing tab weather my 'program exit' or 'methods tab' code will trigger or not??

The will not work. The workflow does not know, if you close the application (unless it is a sap gui screen). Instead if it is a e.g. a web dynpro application, you could perhaps call the status change function from the application itself (in the window WDDOEXIT or WDDOONCLOSE methods or whatever). But again, I would not do anything before knowing more details.

Kind regards,

Karri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you share a screenshot of your UWL that is behaving like this?

Regards,

Karri

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

hi Karri,

Actually I also don't have the screen-shots. This issue was reported by end user. But in testing when i tried doing the same scenario then , no either wid double or single click the WI was getting reserved. Only as u said like with right click it was setting reserved.

i don't have exact instace of this issue but the user says som times when they open d window and close it system automatically sets status to Reserved and goes out from other inboxes which should not happen.

For now I think note provide by @Sandy might be useful

I will implement and update u guys.

Thanks .

Soumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

>i don't have exact instace of this issue but the user says som times when they open d window and close it system automatically sets status to Reserved and goes out from other inboxes which should not happen.

Well, what about the double-click? Now it sounds only that the application reserves the work item, which is highly possible, and can be possibly easily fixed too (with Sandy's suggestions for example).

Regards,

Karri

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

"Actually I also don't have the screen-shots. This issue was reported by end user. "

Don't believe them! Or rather, ask them to stop what they're doing when it happens again and contact you immediately, with screenshots if possible.

If a problem can't be reproduced then it probably doesn't exist. It certainly can't be fixed.

regards

Rick

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

I too have given the user same reply.

But why I am trying to find out is if this problem really exsist, then as a consultant I would be able to give them any solution if it again arises. So I was trying for the possible ways to rectify this issue.

Thanks for your reply,

Soumya.

SandySingh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

This is working as designed as per work item reservation principle. The workitem will disappear from other agents inbox once it is reserved by one agent.

The user can use the replace option to return the workitem to all the original users assigned to it.You can try using note 1676067 - "automatic replacement of workitems" to change the standard behavior so the workitem will not be reserved.

Try this link below

Regards

Sandy

I042439
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Soumya

If you do the same in SBWP (backend Inbox) - it will behave the same.

Single Click on the WI will display the WI in "Preview Pane" in SBWP (if that is enabled), and double click will open the workitem.

It is a standard functionality that when a work item is opened, it gets "reserved" automatically with that guy. Obviously, if it is reserved, it is not available to other users (WI Recipients). To "Un-Reserve", the user has to do that explicitly and it does not happens on closing of the window (Reason: a user may open the WI, but needs some more info to look in the system; so he closes it and looks for the info and then comes back to the WI to action it. - so logically, it should stay reserved.).

Reserving ensures that there is no locking amongst two concurrent users opening the same workitem.

Same is the UWL behavior.

regards,

Modak

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Same is the UWL behavior.

Really? Is this something new? I haven't seen this before. I try to double-click items in my UWL, but it just open the application without reserving the work item.

Kind regards,

Karri

I042439
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Karri

Maybe the note given by Sandy has the answer.

My interaction with UWL has been limited, but I did notice the WI getting reserved.

Of course, I never looked in that direction whether it should get or not get reserved as I took it to be a standard behavior based on SBWP.

However, if you have some details to share, I'd be more than thankful for your valuable inputs 🙂

Regards,

Modak

Former Member
0 Kudos

The note is for business workplace - not for UWL.

At least my experience has always been that you need to press the "Assign to me" (or whatever) in UWL to reserve the work item. Sometimes projects have required that when you open the application from UWL, the WI should get reserved, and then this has been built into the application itself. 

I would like to know if there is some new developments from SAP or something? Actually this sounds a bit strange, because normally double-clicks don't belogn web applications.

Regards,

Karri

SandySingh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karri,

I have used Adobe interactive forms workflows on UWL where the application reserves the work-item as soon as form is launched from webdynpro application. I wrote a code to un-reserve the workitem.

Good observation on UWL behaviour.

Regards

Sandy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

I would understand this if the application does the reserving. I have also been implementing reserving & replacing functionality to the applications itself.

But now the original question was the normal click does not reserve the work item, but double-click does. That sounds quite strange...

Regards,

Karri

soumya_ranjan_patel
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi sandy,

The notes you have provide saying can not be imlemented in status.

Can you help me on this or any body.

Thanks,

Soumya.