cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two step picking business process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have a fundamental question on SAP's 2 step picking process. I have completed the configuration and tested a scenario it works as explained but where I am finding hard to connect dots is on the execution side.

In the first step (picking) the TOs are created with mvmt 850 and products are staged in stype 200. The next step is the allocation where products are picked from 200 and staged to 916. My question is if I have 10 pallets worth of products lying in stype 200 how will I look for a specific item needed for one of the delivery within a group?

In direct picking atleast I know the Bin number to go and get the product needed, in this case stype 200 is an open storage with a bin no as group no (dynamic bin). As an example if one group is large enough to have 10 Gaylord's with mixed products in it, I don't want to go through each of them to find a product I need that would kill my picking efficiencies. Have you faced this problem and how did you overcame it?

Thanks,

Kandarp

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not sure where exactly you have a problem. Just imagine storage type 200 and 916 is the very same physical space, why do you then have a problem finding the material there when using a 2step picking instead of a direct picking?

Former Member
0 Kudos

lets assume 200 same as 916, I then have to pack each single delivery physically. As long as quantities are in 200 they are all in one generic pallet or may be open storage with no packing. when I do LT42 I will have to find a particular SKU  in 200 and pack it on a HU before I can LOAD/PGI a delivery as per my business process.

What am I missing.

Thanks,

Kandarp

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

how do you find this SKU in 916 today? And where do you do the preparation for the delivery today and why is this different with 2 step picking?

The main difference is that you pick just once from the bins instead of several times with direct picking. But then your material is at the same space for preparation like before. There should not be much difference how the material is stored in this preparation space. So finding the SKU cannot be more difficult.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think we are getting somewhere..

With direct picking when I have SKUs in 916 they are all packed and ready to ship I don't have to do anything other than loading them. we pick and pack in one step.

I am having trouble connecting dots with 2 step how items will be pack ready in 200? with LT0E you are still picking for a group and not to a delivery.. Can you pack while LT0E? if yes then how does system assigns that HU to delivery?

Lets say you are picking a group of 10 deliveries, the way I understand is at end of LT0E stock worth of all 10 deliveries are in 200 and no updates have been made to any delivery. At LT42 the actual delivery TO gets created and packing/assignment of HU to delivery takes place. And that is where I am finding it hard to understand how efficiently I can pick for one delivery from stock pile worth of 10 deliveries.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You wrote: "With direct picking when I have SKUs in 916 they are all packed and ready to ship "

This is actually to quick and to rough for me as it describes only what you do in SAP. You are missing the physical movements and the physical part of preparation for delivery.

In a direct picking in SAP you really omit this physical part of packing.

Have a look at this picture from the SAP docu and imagine that 200 and 916 is the same physical place. Then all this action with the many arrows happens on short distance.

In direct picking you need to imagine all those arrows on the left site at Step1, this is long distance (moving stock from high rack to staging area  vs preparing for delivery within the staging area) hence takes more time and effort.

This graphic is explained in the accompanying text

see the detail steps in Two-Step Picking Process -