cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

Please share your experience. If i have a daily recurring Instance running which I stopped for 5 days. When i resume that instance will it pick and run the instances from the day it was stopped or it will pick from the day it was started. Please share your valuable experience.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

from the day it started again.

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks BR. In that i will be missing the instances for those days. Is there a way to bring it back or avoid this situation?

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it depends how the report was designed. If the report to bring back only for previous day, than you just get the data for the previous day.

You need to look at the query to find out how it was designed.

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can get the missing instances ONLY IF you have snapshots of your database on daily basis, but would be tricky and laborious(I'm not going into the transaction log thing here). If you have a test machine, you can take the daily backup from your DBA, restore the db and then run the schedule on the test machine. You have to repeat it 5 times to get the data of all 5 days. Finally, you have to restore with the db to the present state.

In the future if you would like to avoid these type of situations, you can create a report on your TEST(QA, UAT) machine which points  to the production database. For some reason if you want to stop the schedule in PROD, still the test server schedule will run and you will have the production data.

OR a report which is scheduled only to you in PROD itself, if you have rights to do that.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards,

Naras

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Jawahar - Some reports are designed to bring the previous day data. But we will sill be missing some data for the days report didn't run. I thought when i resume the instance it will run from the day it was stopped and maintain the history

@Naras - We don't have daily snapshot. Even if the reports are scheduled to me in prod, if the instance is stopped. How would it generate the report?

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In you initial post you had mentioned that you are the person to stop the instance. So, if the schedule is to deliver it to multiple people and you want to stop it you will also not receive it(just like what happened to you now).

But in case if you have a second schedule that will run only for you, you will keep receiving the instances. Even if you stop the actual schedule YOU will still receive it while OTHERs won't.

So under history, you will see two "Recurring" instances. 1st one the normal one, runs for everyone and 2nd one special only for you.

Yeah, there is a downside, you will receive the emails twice and you are loading the server bit more. But if receiving the instance each day is your highest priority, nothing should matter.

Regards,

Naras

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not stopping each instances, we are bringing the server down. Which is impacting all the instances,

former_member207052
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please refer my initial response. If you have a test server, you can create a new Relational connection to point to the PROD database and get the production data through your BOE test server.  this is to make sure all other assets on your test server still points to the test database.

On your test or sandbox BOE server,

• Create a new Relational connection - points to your prod db
  • On the copy of the universe - change the connection to the new one above
  • On the copy of the web-I report - switch to the above universe

If you are not sure what I mean here, best to reach out to a report developer in your company who can help you with this one.

Still I'm not clear or sure why the production server would be brought down when you feel it is importance to have instances in your inbox.

Thanks and regards,

Naras