cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number/Equipment in warehouse setup ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a couple of question with regards to implementing standard WM in a serialized number environment. Meaning our business making use of serial number together with equipment to track stock quantity movement during goods receipt, goods issue, and stock transfer. Hence, if I am going to implement WM, may I know if standard SAP WM able to handle serial/equipment? I look through the storage bin table (LAGP) and quant table (LQUA), and it turns out there is no serial number field (SERNR) nor equipment field (EQUNR). Further, I browse through the web on this topic, and it seems standard SAP WM not able to solve and capture serial/equipment?

Questions:

1. Is this true that standard SAP WM not able to cater serial/equipment environment?
  2. It seems the ONLY WAY to handle such requirement is to activate Handling Unit Management?
  3. if I don't want to activate Handling Unit Management, may I know if a pure SAP WM Storage Unit Management can handle the serial/equipment requirement (note: a HUM is actually a SUM in WM environment)?

For question B, I have sub-questions below..

B-1 >> Given that a full HUM (i.e. HUM with partner SLoc setup) have never been used nor setup in any of our whole company group, I am wondering if there is any implication to activate HUM for one plant in a country? (Note: I am more worry activating HUM for a site will impact the supply chain on other country having business transaction with this plant).

B-2 >> Given HUM is quick complex, if HUM is to activate, will it have impact to modules, for example sales order and purchase order creation? Or activating HUM only impacts the outbound and inbound delivery order?

Can you let me know my question A, B, C, and B-1, and B-2?

Thanks,

Tuff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Serial number management is not available in SAP ECC's WM - you could see that the data tables have no serial number data, there's no such procedure in serial number management configuration (table T377X) and OSS note 409544 also confirms it ("...there are no serial numbers at storage bin level in WM...")

Whether you use HUM or not, it does not change this fact.

The reason you think HUM can help may be the reply in this thread:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2097602

The information on the serial number through HUM is available (as you know what you pack in it), and the HUM is integrated with WM. So, indirectly, it is possible to find out which serial number is in which bin but that's all (there's no integration with serial number management you can only develop your z-reports).

In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense of implementing a robust HUM solution just because of getting this information (but of course you decide it).

Serial number management is available in EWM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Csaba,

I think you have answered my question A, and B.

Possible if you can let me know question C, B-1 and B-2?

I agree with what you say "doesn't make any sense of implementing a robust HUM solution just because of getting this information (but of course you decide it)", it can be seemingly overkills as introducing a HUM might bring in extra uncertainty or more process to a simple standard SAP WM process for a company. But please let me know your comments on those questions I had.

Thanks,

Tuff

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"if I don't want to activate Handling Unit Management, may I know if a pure SAP WM Storage Unit Management can handle the serial/equipment requirement (note: a HUM is actually a SUM in WM environment)?"

No, the storage unit cannot help as it cannot store information about serial numbers (tables LEIN [SU header], LQUA [quant])

" Given that a full HUM (i.e. HUM with partner SLoc setup) have never been used nor setup in any of our whole company group, I am wondering if there is any implication to activate HUM for one plant in a country? (Note: I am more worry activating HUM for a site will impact the supply chain on other country having business transaction with this plant)."

This is a bit difficult question, especially because I don't know anything about the supply chain processes and the system solutions we are talking about.

If the HUs are implemented only under one plant in order to track serial numbers at storage bin level (which I would not recommend at all), I assume it is possible to manage the logistics process of the other sites without impact.

"B-2 >> Given HUM is quick complex, if HUM is to activate, will it have impact to modules, for example sales order and purchase order creation? Or activating HUM only impacts the outbound and inbound delivery order?"

As per my best knowledge, there's no integration between purchase orders and HUM. As for sales orders, it is possible to use packaging instruction but it's optional.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jagdeepsingh83
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also you can explore SAP new solution EWM, which supports handling units as well as serial numbers